Daily Egg Log

sakana

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 6, 2007
Seattle
Well, we've been enjoying our eggs from our new chickens, George & Rita! Since laying their first egg on August 20th, we've gotten 53 eggs. That's almost 4 1/2 dozen in a month.
smile.png

Since I'm trying to keep track of our eggs, I made up an egg log. I don't know if anyone else is interested in it, but I thought I'd post a link to a blank copy for anyone who wants to download and use it.

http://swissylover.com/georgeandrita/dailyegglog.pdf

Oh, and I'll add that last week one of our chicken laid a monster 2.75 ounce egg! It had a double yolk.
smile.png

Last edited:
That is fantastic!
ya.gif
Congratulations! I am green with envy (we are going on 26 weeks with no eggs.....)

Well, according to my McMurray poultry catalog, Australorps as a breed are very early layers. They must be right about that because my two started laying at about 5 months. From their catalog:

"Pullets mature early and many will be in production between 5 and 6 months of age. They are quiet, gentle, and stand confinement well."

I don't know what breed you have, but it probably starts laying later than that. Also, Australorps seem to have a history of very prolific egg laying. From my catalog:

"Some sensational results were made in the Australian program, and one hen set a laying record of 364 eggs in 365 days."

Mine are certainly living up to that claim. For the past month, each have laid an egg a day (2 per day) except for about 6 or 7 days when I got only one egg. But every day there has been at least one egg in the laying box.

Back
Top Bottom