Daily rounds

A good consideration. I've had no issues with crumble and Florida humidity, but rain forest level moisture could be different

Different feeders feed pellets or crumble more or less effectively. I have some that feed crumble best, others that feed pellets best, and one that has more waste no matter which I use.

Different feeders feed pellets or crumble more or less effectively. I have some that feed crumble best, others that feed pellets best, and one that has more waste no matter which I use.
I've noticed that in a way too. One feeder dispenses the crumble better than the other even though they look identical. I've not tried pellet in either. I don't think I get much waste except from a squirrel. Some reason the chickens don't go after them. Too quick?

A good consideration. I've had no issues with crumble and Florida humidity, but rain forest level moisture could be different
Nor have I, except when I used the J-style PVC feeders. Those plus humidity and darkness and time... not good eats. But then J-feeders don't work well with crumble regardless.

and @My Very First 6 Chickens like @3KillerBs and many others, I make wet mash to control waste/deal with "fines".

I've noticed that in a way too. One feeder dispenses the crumble better than the other even though they look identical. I've not tried pellet in either. I don't think I get much waste except from a squirrel. Some reason the chickens don't go after them. Too quick?

My one feeder -- unfortunately the really BIG one -- doesn't have enough rolled lip so the birds beak out more than I like to see even with it hung as high as is reasonable.

But that's the one I keep inside the big coop. Since it's dry in there I can just refuse to fill it until they clean up.

My biggest pet peeve is the amount of feed 'dust' that accumulates in their feeders. I feel like half of my feed bag winds up turning to dust. I am frequently removing all the dust from the feeders so the pellets can fit. Not sure if there is a use for feed dust but it fills a large container and i wind up throwing it away. Any tips?

When I get a buildup of dust at the bottom of the feeder I dump it into a dish, wet it into mash, and the chickens think I'm giving them a treat.
I save all the dust/bits in a bin. In the afternoon, I do what @3KillerBs and @U_Stormcrow do, and wet some into a mash. Very little waste. I can dress this up with kitchen scraps. It can be warm in the winter and cold in the summer. In extreme heat or cold, I add some (1/4 teaspoon) probiotics to the dry before adding water.

I put out feed in the morning, make mash "chickie snack" mid-afternoon, and use those though black rubber bowls from TSC. I remove all food and water at night, so as not to attract any mice or other critters.

I top off my feeders once a week, but they can go 3 weeks. I use 4' sections of 4" pipe screwed to the wall and dumping into a rubber bowl. I screw the pipe into a stud so its about 2" above the bottom of the bowl. I have 4 of them in my hen house with 13 birds.

The reason I top off weekly is in case I have to evacuate for a fire or leave for any reason I know they have 2-3 weeks worth of food and water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom