Daily rounds

A good consideration. I've had no issues with crumble and Florida humidity, but rain forest level moisture could be different

Different feeders feed pellets or crumble more or less effectively. I have some that feed crumble best, others that feed pellets best, and one that has more waste no matter which I use.

Different feeders feed pellets or crumble more or less effectively. I have some that feed crumble best, others that feed pellets best, and one that has more waste no matter which I use.
I've noticed that in a way too. One feeder dispenses the crumble better than the other even though they look identical. I've not tried pellet in either. I don't think I get much waste except from a squirrel. Some reason the chickens don't go after them. Too quick?

A good consideration. I've had no issues with crumble and Florida humidity, but rain forest level moisture could be different
Nor have I, except when I used the J-style PVC feeders. Those plus humidity and darkness and time... not good eats. But then J-feeders don't work well with crumble regardless.

and @My Very First 6 Chickens like @3KillerBs and many others, I make wet mash to control waste/deal with "fines".

I've noticed that in a way too. One feeder dispenses the crumble better than the other even though they look identical. I've not tried pellet in either. I don't think I get much waste except from a squirrel. Some reason the chickens don't go after them. Too quick?

My one feeder -- unfortunately the really BIG one -- doesn't have enough rolled lip so the birds beak out more than I like to see even with it hung as high as is reasonable.

But that's the one I keep inside the big coop. Since it's dry in there I can just refuse to fill it until they clean up.

I feed twelve pens by hand into a bowl twice each day and try to give them only as much as they will clean up before the next round. Monitoring their feed intake is useful information.
That is good for those with a vested interest. Mine gets topped off daily. Every other or third day may take a couple of scoops.

My biggest pet peeve is the amount of feed 'dust' that accumulates in their feeders. I feel like half of my feed bag winds up turning to dust. I am frequently removing all the dust from the feeders so the pellets can fit. Not sure if there is a use for feed dust but it fills a large container and i wind up throwing it away. Any tips?

When I get a buildup of dust at the bottom of the feeder I dump it into a dish, wet it into mash, and the chickens think I'm giving them a treat.
I save all the dust/bits in a bin. In the afternoon, I do what @3KillerBs and @U_Stormcrow do, and wet some into a mash. Very little waste. I can dress this up with kitchen scraps. It can be warm in the winter and cold in the summer. In extreme heat or cold, I add some (1/4 teaspoon) probiotics to the dry before adding water.

I put out feed in the morning, make mash "chickie snack" mid-afternoon, and use those though black rubber bowls from TSC. I remove all food and water at night, so as not to attract any mice or other critters.

I top off my feeders once a week, but they can go 3 weeks. I use 4' sections of 4" pipe screwed to the wall and dumping into a rubber bowl. I screw the pipe into a stud so its about 2" above the bottom of the bowl. I have 4 of them in my hen house with 13 birds.

The reason I top off weekly is in case I have to evacuate for a fire or leave for any reason I know they have 2-3 weeks worth of food and water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom