Daily rounds

Kandypeeps05

Songster
Jan 30, 2022
How many times a day do you feed your birds? My birds living in a run full time and don’t get access to free ranging due to predators.

I’m just worried about feeder contamination I guess
That's reasonable. Here are some prime feeder issues I an think of:
  1. Water getting into the feeder- generally easy to solve with some form of cover.
  2. Feed being scattered around and wasted- there are feeder designs that are very good at reducing waste.
  3. Mice/Rats/wild birds getting into your feed- all are problems and the solutions depend on your specific setup.
  4. Chickens pooping in their feed bowl- Don't use an open feed bowl as it is subject to all of the problems above as well as this last one.
All of these are quite solvable if you have a specific problem.

I feed once daily. They free range the rest.

My experience is completely inapplicable to your management methods. You don't say where you are - environment matters - but for most with a secure run and dry conditions - free feeding with large gravity feeders of whatever design is a practical method that lets them go extended periods without refill. In much moister environments, crumble can be an issue, pellets might perform better. And if you feed ferment or mash, gravity feeders won't work for that at all.

No one right answer, or everyone would be doing it. (Except that one guy, because there's always that one guy...) Thousands of wrong answers - some of which aren't wrong for everyone.

My biggest pet peeve is the amount of feed 'dust' that accumulates in their feeders. I feel like half of my feed bag winds up turning to dust. I am frequently removing all the dust from the feeders so the pellets can fit. Not sure if there is a use for feed dust but it fills a large container and i wind up throwing it away. Any tips?

Attachments

• 5FA0F443-B657-4CDA-84F7-FF9B06A55F5C.jpeg
    5FA0F443-B657-4CDA-84F7-FF9B06A55F5C.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom