Damaged Claw! Help Please! Solved!

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
My roo, Wren, he is a Golden Laced Sebright, has a bloody “thumb". It is bleeding at the base area where the flesh meets the claw. I know that people say that roosters can get hurt in fights and they will be okay but it is bleeding pretty bad. Please help. Also, I think he got is when he was kicking me.

Edit- Holy crud! It did not get better! I just went to check on him again and found his claw was barely attracted to the foot! It is being held by about a few paper-thins worths of the claw! What do I do!!

Last edited:
If it looks beyond healing it's best to take a sharp shears and cut it off. If it looks as though it might heal clean and wrap it. It would be best to pen him for the night so the wound has a chance to scab over as you said it was muddy there.

@nchls school
Holy crud! It did not get better! I'm sorry to bother you but I just went to check on him again and found his claw was barely attracted to the foot! It is being held by about a few paper-thins worths of the claw! What do I do!

Can you attach a picture? Snip off the thread holding it. Put some flour or corn starch on the tip and place her in a dog crate or basket on a towel for bedding. Or hold her for a bit with a washcloth on it.

If it looks beyond healing it's best to take a sharp shears and cut it off. If it looks as though it might heal clean and wrap it. It would be best to pen him for the night so the wound has a chance to scab over as you said it was muddy there.
We do not have a pen. Would put him in a box be okay, it is a big box? (we put him in a box when he is bad so...)

Back
Top Bottom