Damaged eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hacharlton, Nov 5, 2009.

1. hacharlton

hacharlton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    I have a Coturnix quail egg that was dented last night when I retrieved it from the cage. I put duct tape over the wound and plan on putting it in the incubator with 8 other eggs tonight. Is there any hope for this egg. It was a much bigger egg than any other egg I have gotten.

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Duct tape may not be the best... I personally use candle wax and I know others also use nail polish.

~Cherlyn

3. hacharlton

hacharlton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks, I will try wax before putting it in the incubator. I just used the first thing handy. This will be my first try at incubating eggs, so I wanted to give them the best chance I could. Duct tape usually fixes anything!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I just got the mental picture of a quail trying to hatch through duct tape. Poor baby!!!

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I used scotch tape on mine and it was the first to peep, pip and zip! I bet duct tape is fine.

6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a difficult time pulling duct-tape off of the roll. I can't imagine a chick being able to get out of a duct-taped egg.

7. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:good point... have you ever tried to get duck tape out of your hair??? lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by