Damaged rooster

Skittleskitts

Hatching
Oct 8, 2021
About 3 days ago my flock was attacked by two foxes. We have 5 left of 10. 3 are healthy 1 who is bandaged up and on her way to healing. My rooster on the other hand has one puncture wound to his crown, he cannot walk and connect stand on his own. His head hangs down like he does not have the strength to hold it up. He is drinking water but he is not eating anything. What should I do?

I'm sorry to hear about the attack and your loss.

Can you post some photos?

Have you looked him over really well for more wounds or bruises that may be hidden under his feathers?

Keeping him hydrated is good. Hard to know exactly what's going on when there's been an attack. Birds can injure themselves just trying to get away.
I would try offering some wet soupy feed since he can drink. Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/4 tablet B-Complex may be helpful in healing as well.

About 3 days ago my flock was attacked by two foxes. We have 5 left of 10. 3 are healthy 1 who is bandaged up and on her way to healing. My rooster on the other hand has one puncture wound to his crown, he cannot walk and connect stand on his own. His head hangs down like he does not have the strength to hold it up. He is drinking water but he is not eating anything. What should I do?

What do you mean by crown, the comb or his actual head?

He must be eating something, or else three days he would be dead, unless you have been hand feeding. Is he eating anything, even a little bit if you keep a tray in front of him with food? If so, he needs rest to recover.

If the comb is punctured, keep some antibiotic on it, cocunut oil is a good natural choice for that part, or else a cream of some kind.

Not being able to walk or stand is a huge concern. Keep him in a quiet and comfy place with food and water in front. Also what @wyorprock said. If he is eating even a little he has hope to recover. If not, you may need to hand feed to get him over the initial recovery plateau.

He has eaten a little not much. I will get pictures in a few hours. I have given him some mushy food( water and chicken food) I was going to try applesauce next. He did not eat to much of the mush I made. And yes I meant the comb. The only wounds he has are from where the fox ripped out fathers on his neck.

I have given him some mushy food( water and chicken food)
Good choice! Chickens often eat small amounts of food, frequently, so you might offer it several times a day.

I was going to try applesauce next. He did not eat to much of the mush I made.
That also sounds like a good idea, although I would keep re-offering the mush at intervals too. Any mush he does not eat, you can give to the other chickens so it's not wasted.

And yes I meant the comb. The only wounds he has are from where the fox ripped out fathers on his neck.
If he had feathers ripped out of his neck, some other part of his neck may have been injured too (bones or muscles or nerves.) I don't know how to fix those, except to keep him safe and hope it will heal on its own, but that might explain the symptoms you have seen.

:welcome :frow I had a similar thing with a young male. I did give him water to drink and made him a nest on the floor of his coop where he could lay in with access to vitamin water. I also mixed some crumbles with the water several times a day and got him to eat some. His apatite improved and eventually he ate on his own. I used Sav-A-Chick. It took awhile but he would eventually try to walk and did eventually return to normal. Good luck...

Attachments

• Save-A-Chick.jpg
    Save-A-Chick.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
Apologies for the late reply but we ended up getting some kind of liquid medicine. It has all sorts of vitamins including vitamin e. We saw improve within days. He is currently using the wall for support to walk and he can drink and eat on his own now. I believe in a few more works he will be okay. Thank you all so so much.

Back
Top Bottom