Damp, messy vent feathers

SusanD

Chirping
Feb 20, 2015
Willamette Valley, Oregon
The feathers around one of my chicken's vent always seem to have dried stuff on them, and don't clean up very well or stay clean very long with water alone. Lately they've been damp as well as messy - Not sure if that's related to the hot weather and drinking a lot. It does seem to have a slight odor to it when wet. Am I right in thinking this is abnormal? If so, is a fecal check the best way to get a diagnosis?

I'm wanting to check if my instincts are correct, since my family seem to think she's normal and I'm being silly to pursue this, but I'm not so sure.

If it was my bird or birds
I'd give them a soaking bath for 20 minutes in warm water making sure water covers the vent.
I'd feed them some scrambled eggs, and frozen peas...
chop up some finely chopped garlic clove and add it to the eggs...
I'd put a dab of preperation H on the area...

Get some nutri drench.... or poly vi sol without iron...

Check the area of the coop and roaming area for any bad seeds,
or anything that may need to be cleaned up...
Make sure watering container is cleaned with bleach and soapy water.... rinsed well
and add some mother's vinegar (tablespoon to a gallon)

I apologize, but what your wrote that's happening, unless its the heat, I wouldn't not tend to it.. =)

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get..

If it was my bird or birds
I'd give them a soaking bath for 20 minutes in warm water making sure water covers the vent._ will do
I'd feed them some scrambled eggs, and frozen peas...
chop up some finely chopped garlic clove and add it to the eggs...- Can do
I'd put a dab of preperation H on the area - Does that mean you think I should initiate vent gleet treatment or?

Get some nutri drench.... or poly vi sol without iron...Does that mean you think I should treat them for a vitamin deficiency?

Check the area of the coop and roaming area for any bad seeds, - Will Do
or anything that may need to be cleaned up...
Make sure watering container is cleaned with bleach and soapy water.... rinsed well - Will do
and add some mother's vinegar (tablespoon to a gallon) - Does that mean you think I should initiate vent gleet treatment?

I apologize, but what your wrote that's happening, unless its the heat, I wouldn't not tend to it.. =) Does that mean you think it sounds fairly normal? If so, I glad to hear that :) We did have a 10 degree jump in temperature (to 95) over the last two days. I will be glad when it gets cooler>

I'm just saying.....that its what I would do..... all of it would be good for them and not harm them, and possibly fix
the problem.... =)
My silkies, don't usually ever have droppings sticking to their feathers under vent, and when it does happen this
is what we do.... = )

If its the heat, frozen peas are great....!
We spritz ours with a hose or bottle sprayer on hot days....
I don't know what everyone else does...
but thats what we do... =)

The feathers around one of my chicken's vent always seem to have dried stuff on them, and don't clean up very well or stay clean very long with water alone. Lately they've been damp as well as messy - Not sure if that's related to the hot weather and drinking a lot. It does seem to have a slight odor to it when wet. Am I right in thinking this is abnormal? If so, is a fecal check the best way to get a diagnosis?

I'm wanting to check if my instincts are correct, since my family seem to think she's normal and I'm being silly to pursue this, but I'm not so sure.

It's normal, especially for a good layer, to have messy feathers below the vent and in the hotter weather, they drink more water, so those poops can get a little more runny...they will actually leave a darkened ring of moisture around the droppings if dropped on cement.

I'd not be washing it or clipping it off. You might pull off the bigger clumps with your hand but nothing more. It will be back and continue as long as she is laying well and drinking a lot of water. It's nothing to be concerned about, nor will it cause her any problems. Your family is right.

Back
Top Bottom