Danders to chickens

Coreenelane

Songster
Feb 22, 2016
Want to pass on something that happened to my white silkie rooster. This rooster started to walk funny and hop but I thought nothing of it. As the weeks went by he hopped more, then one day I let all of the flock out. The rooster ended up at my basement door and would not head towards the coop at dusk. I had granddaughter bring the rooster in and I was shocked at what I found. Wrapped around his feet and leg feathers and imbedded in his toes was string from the feed bags. I felt horrible at not checking him out sooner. I soaked his feet in warm water then pulled the string off with tweesers. He stayed in the house that night and woke us up bright and early the next morning. His toes are ok now but things could have been alot worse like loosing a toe or two. Now we all realize how important it is to pick up all trash in the yard or any place animals go.

I have had a similar experience, always check their feet if they aren't walking properly. Did you catch it before any real damage? Hopefully he will be okay.

That's good, they can lose toes and even feet. I had it happen to a zebra finch and some string I gave them for nesting materials. I imagine it was hard to see on a silkie.

Back
Top Bottom