Dang Dog!! is there anything else I can do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MichelleLeigh, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MichelleLeigh

MichelleLeigh New Egg

Nov 4, 2012
    Hi all, I am new to the site but have been stalking around on here for a while. Yesterday after noon one of my hens was attacked by a neighbor dog. He got a hold of her back end pretty good. My husband got him off of her but I am worried. She has a pretty good gash in her tail area going long ways ( about an inch and a half) and another make where the k9 pierced her but that not too deep. I rinsed it with warm water and sprayed iodine on it to help infection. I have her in a small crate with water and fresh greens for food. I have some ACV in the water. is there anything else we can do? or maybe something better I can give her or treat her with? Thank you for any help.

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    i think u did a good job.....just as long as the bleeding has stopped the the cuts cleaned, it just needs time to heal.

3. Minchi

Minchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    I might use some neosprin on her wonds, just not the one with the pain reliver in it and maybe a bit of baby asprin in her water to help with the pain.

" I usually see posted 1 baby(81mg) aspirin dissolved in a quart of water or 1 regular(325mg) dissolved in a gallon of water"

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. MichelleLeigh

MichelleLeigh New Egg

Nov 4, 2012
    Thank you guys. I checked her this morning and she is looking a lot better but still does not seem to be eating. I put asprin in her water today and am giving her cucumber lettace tomatoes and corn but shes not intrested. Shoul[VIDEO][/VIDEO]d i be worried( cuz i am)

5. Minchi

Minchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    You might go for the Greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, and meal worms. (separate or mixed your choice) If she does not go for the meal worms then I would consider talking to a vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by