Dang Fox!

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
Yesterday(sunday) I witnessed a fox grab one of my leghorns by the neck and run off with it. I chased it with a gun in the woods hoping to shoot it (because we have had quite a few chickens killed from that same fox) ..it must have been a pretty heavy load because it dropped her and ran off. I put the dead (headless) chicken in a trap hoping to get rid of the fox. I have a couple of questions...

Once the chicken starts rotting and smelling, will It still be good bait?

The fox leaves the same trail of feathers every time and yesterday, we chased it up the very same way..does this mean it has a den somewhere near that trail? So should I set the trap near that area?

Oh and I figured I should give my guineas credit because not only did they squak to let me know the fox was there, but they got In a crowd and chased it off! I complain about my guineas being stupid all the time but they have proved me wrong! I just hope we can get is fox before we are left with no chickens!

Thanks in advance :)

- Olivia

sorry about your loss, and I don't have an answer to your question. I just wanted to get on this thread and express my relief that your guineas did their job! I just bought some myself, they are still in a coop getting used to "home", and I was wondering if they would actually warn of predators. Good luck with your fox hunting!

Yes, the "stink bait" will still work. I tried to trap one for weeks, & then decided my trap was too small, cause the door would be sprung, & bait gone. I figured the door was slapping it in the back, & it was backing out. I got a longer trap, a can of tuna, & got that sneaky varmit with the first set of the new trap.

This time of the year, they've got young to feed, though likely they are out of the den by now. It's good that you know it's route. Now you have a few choices on what to do.

Thanks! Glad to know I can keep the same bait for awhile...I don't think the size of the trap will be a problem. We got a huge $150 trap at tractor supply in case it wouldn't fit in out raccoon trap...the fox is pretty small anyway. I think I could fit in it!

Last edited:
Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Yup, the stinky bait will work for a while. I recently saw the trap you are talking about at TSC. My trap is very similar, with the bait box at one end. Had mine for 9 years and it`s well worth the $200 I paid for it. Good luck with your fox..........Pop
22812_th_2006-03-10001.jpg

Well, here's an update...favorite rooster, killed by the fox. It's like I turn my back and another dead chicken. I can't bear to loose everyone! The weird thing is...the fox is coming out in the middle of the day! What's with that? Not one of it's attacks has been at night! I have a lot of chickens left but I'm left with one of my favorites. The fox has already gotten two out of all three of my favorites. What do I do?!?! I can't wait to blow its brains out!!! I just really hope I trap it tonight. I know it's just trying to eat but I'm just trying to protect my children.

Oh and it was good ole TSC where I got my trap. Come on tractor supply trap, don't fail me now.(;

Last edited:
If they were mine, I would stop free ranging the chickens until I caught the fox. Fox are opportunistic feeders. It is coming during the daytime because that is when your chickens are available. As long as the chickens are available, the fox will continue feasting.

Back
Top Bottom