Dang roosters

25F0DF8E-89BA-4877-AFC9-0BDFD2FEBCBB.jpeg

If your husband will do it for you, have him do it. Mine won't. I had to cull 2 hormonal cockerels when they were 4 months old.

As has been suggested, you could cull one and see if things calm down.

Good luck...
Yeah, he has zero issues with culling. I’m sure he would be happy to do yours too lol.

I’ve thought about just doing one and seeing what happens, but it’s an impossible choice too. My favourite guy is the culprit for the aggressive mating but he tidbits and dances for them and seems attentive. The other guy is my kids’ favourite but he is huge and I worry that’s also part of the damage. And will he just end up being more aggressive after the other is gone as he is the number two in my estimation.

Not sure Why I decided that this was a good idea in the first place 🤦‍♀️.

Well, since you guys have come along with me on my rooster stress journey, just thought I’d update you and let you know that we’ve culled the main culprit. I’m giving the other guy a chance to prove he is a nice guy and see if the hens come out of hiding and are happier with him. I also clued in to some other behaviours that might have meant trouble for me as he always crowed and fluffed up anytime I came to the run and had no problem being in my same space where the other guy usually takes off and rarely crows at all (I know this will change now, but I will be keeping an close eye on him).
Anyways, it wasn’t a fun decision to make and I feel like I’ve betrayed him (ugh, I know) but it went smoothly and quickly and most likely the very best decision for the flock. Thanks again for words of wisdom and support for this newbie chicken lady.

I think you did the right thing. Especially since he was starting to think bad thoughts toward you. I am very happy with a cockerel/rooster that takes off when I come near. Watch him, and if he starts behaving badly you can always cull him then.
2 days later and I am totally at peace with my decision. The calm in the flock is back and I am enjoying watching and doing chicken chores again. It’s just so much better. No more scrambling and shrieking hens, and I’ve honestly not even seen the other rooster go after a hen since the other guy has been gone (which I’m sure he does, just not while I’m around).
I will definitely not agonize for so long next time I have an issue (hopefully we are clear of that not).

2 days later and I am totally at peace with my decision. The calm in the flock is back and I am enjoying watching and doing chicken chores again. It’s just so much better. No more scrambling and shrieking hens, and I’ve honestly not even seen the other rooster go after a hen since the other guy has been gone (which I’m sure he does, just not while I’m around).
I will definitely not agonize for so long next time I have an issue (hopefully we are clear of that not).
Isn’t it amazing how quickly things change? We had four 5-month old cockerels, 23 pullets and 11 mature hens. When the boys became “of age”, they started with the hens. The hens, while experiencing some feather loss, weren’t traumatized by the cockerels. But then those cockerels started chasing down, grabbing and yanking feathers from the pullets’ heads and necks. That was it. I locked three of them up in a grow out pen until we had time to process them. (That was their intended purpose anyway - they were Delaware Broilers.) I kept the 4th one, hoping to have a flock rooster. He sealed his fate a week and a half ago when he threatened my 2 year old granddaughter (who was just standing next to me, holding my hand - not running, screaming or bothering the hens in any way). He was fluffing, stomping and giving her the evil eye. I picked her up and tried chasing him away, but he kept coming back towards me. He joined his buddies in the grow out pen that evening. Now 3 of them are in the freezer. One was the guest of honor for supper Friday night.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, before Earl made his fatal mistake, the flock was much happier and more peaceful with only one male among them. Mating was hardly noticeable because he didn’t have to chase them down to get to them before another one, there weren’t two cockerels knocking each other off a hen or pullet to mate, none of that nonsense. He’d find a hen, she’d submit, and that was it.

Back
Top Bottom