Dangers of tradeing birds?

SportTees

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Southern Middle Tennessee
Aren't there many health dangers with introducing new birds from unknown sources?? I got my first flock this past spring and am wanting more adult birds but am scared to introduce new birds. What are the dangers?

Well, yes, there are numerous risks to that. I do not buy started birds for that reason, ever. They could be carriers of a terrible disease that may not be readily apparent, that would be the worst danger. They could introduce mites and lice to a previously clean flock unless treated for them. You just never know.

Wanted to add that even if you know the source and trust them, you should always quarantine the birds. They may have just contracted something even their owner is not aware of. I always tell people to quarantine my birds they purchase here.

Last edited:
As someone who bought 4 hens from what seemed like a reliable source and lost 2 roughly 3 months after starting our flock, I'd recommend getting proof of vaccine history. I'm having the same problem as you...I want to add adult birds to my flock. Some hatcheries deal with older birds. Although they cost more to purchase and ship.

And many, I'd say most, people do not vaccinate birds, myself included. I have never had any respiratory issues in my flock, but then again, you never know what a bird could have just been exposed to without my knowledge. You certainly cut down the chances of getting an ill bird if the person you got it from has a closed flock, as I do. But, you're going on their word about that and other things to do with their flock's health. We're finding out (well, we've already known) that not all chicken people can be trusted to reveal issues they've had with their flock.

Last edited:
Now if my birds all come from hatched from here and there eggs, would this still be considered a closed flock?
Or do the chicks bring problems from the flock from which they came? I know lice amd mites will not be transmitted, but what else could a hatched chick bring?

Is there any chances with eggs transmitting things? I heard the is some bird issue in the west right now and eggs or birds aren't allowed to be sent state to state.

Back
Top Bottom