d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

ha yep I remember her. She does look like a Heinz 57 lol

She's rather unique, that's for sure. Mean little wench. We almost lost her at 3 days old after hatch because she couldn't see the feed well. When I noticed she was running across the aluminum chick feeder, acting interested in what the other chicks were doing (eating) but didn't eat herself, I realized she had bad eyesight. After we got a red feeder so the feed was more visible and pointed her to it, she caught on and survived.

She flogs and bites my husband every time he tries to pick her up and he's the reason that idiot hen is even alive now. I pick her up and hug her and she's sweet as pie. LOL. Amazing that she lived this long, as mean as she is. Her scrawny neck has almost been wrung several times, literally has had his hands around it when she went all crazy on my husband. What's funny is that the old hens who live with her attack her when she attacks him! They won't stand for it, act as his bodyguards.

I wonder how much of her aggression is the Sumatra lineage and how much is her frustration because of her eyesight.

Last edited:
that's about how it goes. Those evil things cant be killed haha
lol.png
Good to talk to you again, Aubrey. Always great to see you back here.

Would any of you extremely knowledgable folks know where I can find the SOP for quail d'anvers? Last month, I purchased a pair from a high school kid (out of Louisiana) who was getting out of the breed. My daughter -- currently 8 -- would love to begin showing at some point but I want to make sure they are SQ first .... any tips? My google searches are just leading to general descriptions of the breed.

TIA

google our club site for the breed standard.
Belgian bearded d'anver club of America
link in my signature.

the quail color is the most fought over color out there I think. It's so vague on its interpretation . It's in the APA Standard books though.

The D'Anvers, plus all the other groups, moved into the new barn today. They are a little shell-shocked, LOL. At first they'd only crowd around the nests and act like tiny kids in a huge, evil forest.

This is the new barn:

Back
Top Bottom