d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

love.gif
the broodie Porcelains.

JJ
Actually for being crossed to hatchery birds, those silvers are looking really good. Most of mine look the same way, but I like a little more comb on them. Seems to be a hard thing to deal with on them. I prefer one like your porcelain in the front. But that's just being picky on them, most cpmbs look just like those.

Really good job so far on them!

I have to agree, the red most likely came from the male if he had some leakage.

Those blue quail look really good too. The lighter one next to the post, she has one of those nice combs too, and looks to have pretty darn nice type too. Just a bit pale, but it actually looks good on her. Beautiful beard on her especially.

That pairing on the columbians should make you mostly columbians next year. I need to set up a pen just for them myself next year and go on an knock out that project.

All in all you got some nice birds going on this year, I'm already excited to see what next year brings....

JJ
Actually for being crossed to hatchery birds, those silvers are looking really good. Most of mine look the same way, but I like a little more comb on them. Seems to be a hard thing to deal with on them. I prefer one like your porcelain in the front. But that's just being picky on them, most cpmbs look just like those.

Really good job so far on them!

I have to agree, the red most likely came from the male if he had some leakage.

Those blue quail look really good too. The lighter one next to the post, she has one of those nice combs too, and looks to have pretty darn nice type too. Just a bit pale, but it actually looks good on her. Beautiful beard on her especially.

That pairing on the columbians should make you mostly columbians next year. I need to set up a pen just for them myself next year and go on an knock out that project.

All in all you got some nice birds going on this year, I'm already excited to see what next year brings....
Thanks, I have been pretty lucky, I think for just starting out. I have noticed the small combs on the pullets while most of the males combs are on the big side . I hope it will work itself out

I just wanted to say Thank You to JJ, Aubry, and Kristin. JJ posts a picture of a good looking bird and the cretics really help me to get a better understanding of exactly what the d'anver should have or not. Knowing the common problems and working to clean them up is noce to know. Also, I feel like I really am understanding the breed traits more and more.

Thank You all for all the great info.

Kristin, wishing you the best with your thesis, I know it is alot of work. Will look forward to your posts when they appear again.

JJ keep up all the great work on your birds, I really enjoy your pictures, you sure seem to have a knack at breeding, and certainly have had good luck.

Aubrey, you are just a wealth of info and appreciate all your knowlege sharing. I look forward to work ing with mine next year, it seem like a long ways off, but exciting time too.

haha cute.

watch him though with the chicks. I keep waterfowl too and Lord they make a mess in a brooder. Dont let it get bad and get your chicks all wet

I had planned on keeping them separate, but this one came two days earlier than expected. All the duckies have hatched now and are going in a separate area. I didn't want to leave the duck, which my 2 year old has named "Cracker", all alone either. These are our first ducks, so that is good to know. No messy wet chicks!

Switching subjects, can someone post a pic of a porcelain as a chick? I can find chick pics for almost all other colors, but not a porcelain. Thanks!

Thanks so much! That is perfect....I love chick pictures. D'Anvers make the cutest chicks too...with their extra puffy faces.

Does anybody know if splash d'Anvers develop later than usual?
I have 3 splash that are 6 weeks old now and they have no colour in their combs and haven't got big raised combs yet either but they sure as hell act like boys. They all 3 square up to each other and one of them attacked my hand the other day with a full on hang on and twist and scratch with claws. A millefleur boy I hatched at the same time had his comb raised and pink by 3 weeks old. In fact all but one that I have hatched all year have been obviously boys or girls by 5 weeks old.
These three really have me stumped.
barnie.gif

Got some pics of the little 13 week old pullets. They will be going to a new home on Saturday, not sure if 3 or all of them yet. Depends on my friend. She may also take the two lavender Coch'Anvers, who to my disappointment, are nothing like their Cochin mother, Shadow, other than in their color. Both are broody still, though Opal seems to be snapping out of it finally.

Back
Top Bottom