d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Thanks so much! That is perfect....I love chick pictures. D'Anvers make the cutest chicks too...with their extra puffy faces.
dont they though. out of all the breeds I keep, the d'anvers and the ohiki as chicks take the cake for cutness for sure.
Ohiki's because they are fat and round with just about no leg, just fuz and a foot...

Does anybody know if splash d'Anvers develop later than usual?
I have 3 splash that are 6 weeks old now and they have no colour in their combs and haven't got big raised combs yet either but they sure as hell act like boys. They all 3 square up to each other and one of them attacked my hand the other day with a full on hang on and twist and scratch with claws. A millefleur boy I hatched at the same time had his comb raised and pink by 3 weeks old. In fact all but one that I have hatched all year have been obviously boys or girls by 5 weeks old.
These three really have me stumped.
barnie.gif

nothing variety wise, some individual birds do though. Different lines do at times, etc. so most likely is just a combo of one of those things. If they are acting like pitbulls, they most likely are males, the pullets are usually the tamest birds you'll ever have.

post a pic or two if you get a chance and I'll take a look at them. I have seen some males, just never develope right too and stay small and pale combed. It's usually just 1 here and there, think it would be odd to have all of them that way.

Those blue quail look really good too. The lighter one next to the post, she has one of those nice combs too, and looks to have pretty darn nice type too. Just a bit pale, but it actually looks good on her. Beautiful beard on her especially.
You are good at seeing the good birds. In that pen there are two of those light colored that are short, fat and round looking. They both have the best beards ,but only one has the good comb. They are shaped exactly like the hens I got from Art. The rest look a little long in the back and make me think of Ameracanas when I look at them. I am going to the d'Anver national next weekend and will be looking for the best quail rooster I can find. Greg Romer usually has some good ones for sale. Oh and I am showing the white pullet I hatched from your eggs. And a black pullet, 2 quail pullets and 4 silver quail pullets ( just to have some there). Going to the club meeting and see if I can get something in the works about getting silver quail reconized.

Got me a big want list but what I need are Quail, Porcelain, and a Silver Quail roosters. A pair of Sebrights and who knows what else.

I just wanted to say Thank You to JJ, Aubry, and Kristin. JJ posts a picture of a good looking bird and the cretics really help me to get a better understanding of exactly what the d'anver should have or not. Knowing the common problems and working to clean them up is noce to know. Also, I feel like I really am understanding the breed traits more and more.

Thank You all for all the great info.

Kristin, wishing you the best with your thesis, I know it is alot of work. Will look forward to your posts when they appear again.

JJ keep up all the great work on your birds, I really enjoy your pictures, you sure seem to have a knack at breeding, and certainly have had good luck.

Aubrey, you are just a wealth of info and appreciate all your knowlege sharing. I look forward to work ing with mine next year, it seem like a long ways off, but exciting time too.
You are right Kris, Aubrey and Kristen are very helpful sharing their knowledge with the rest of us. I know the things I have learned here has helped me a lot. As far as any knack for breeding, I think it's good advice, decent birds to start with and mostly luck.

jj

At what age can you start telling pullets from cockerels? I'm going to need the help of all of you on determining what I should keep and what I should get rid of with all my little d'Anvers. The 4 are a week old now and I have another possible 10 (as of last time I candled) due in about a week and a half. I really want some basic quail, but there is no possibility with what is in my incubator.

nothing variety wise, some individual birds do though. Different lines do at times, etc. so most likely is just a combo of one of those things. If they are acting like pitbulls, they most likely are males, the pullets are usually the tamest birds you'll ever have.

post a pic or two if you get a chance and I'll take a look at them. I have seen some males, just never develope right too and stay small and pale combed. It's usually just 1 here and there, think it would be odd to have all of them that way.

Ok took loads of dreadful pics so will just post up a couple, I'm not kidding when I say they look like girl combs, lol. They are so pale. Just to remind you that these little brash squabblers are 6 weeks old.......

This one above is the beggar that had me. :D

So what do you reckon? 3 late developing boys or 3 particularly opinionated girls?
fl.gif

You are good at seeing the good birds. In that pen there are two of those light colored that are short, fat and round looking. They both have the best beards ,but only one has the good comb. They are shaped exactly like the hens I got from Art. The rest look a little long in the back and make me think of Ameracanas when I look at them. I am going to the d'Anver national next weekend and will be looking for the best quail rooster I can find. Greg Romer usually has some good ones for sale. Oh and I am showing the white pullet I hatched from your eggs. And a black pullet, 2 quail pullets and 4 silver quail pullets ( just to have some there). Going to the club meeting and see if I can get something in the works about getting silver quail reconized.

Got me a big want list but what I need are Quail, Porcelain, and a Silver Quail roosters. A pair of Sebrights and who knows what else.
haha

I hear ya, same here, my wish and want list never ends. Told myself I needed to cut back and not add on anything this year, LOL yeah right!
So far I'm working 4 different order and about 30 new birds... I just cant help myself. It's all stuff I need for projects though, so it'll be worth it in the long run.
Good luck at the show too by the way, maybe Tom wont win everything...

At what age can you start telling pullets from cockerels? I'm going to need the help of all of you on determining what I should keep and what I should get rid of with all my little d'Anvers. The 4 are a week old now and I have another possible 10 (as of last time I candled) due in about a week and a half. I really want some basic quail, but there is no possibility with what is in my incubator.
post away with them, will be glad to help.

on sexing, they can be tuff lil bugger to determine and some what slow to mature for a bantam. Normal single combed birds you can tell at 4 weeks on. I have been wishy washy before at 3 months on these . Some are feather color/pattern sexable, like the quails, other no so much and you just have to watch for the comb to start swelling up on the boys. also watch the hackle and saddle areas. If the feathering there starts getting long thin and pointed, it's a boy for sure, all the hens feathers will be fatter and rounded.
If you are starting to see fatter bases and redder color on some of the combs, it's a good chance they are going to be your boys, but not 100% at that age. If you can, post some single pics of them, face shots and profile shots of the entire chick help the most.

On the quail chicks, look for lacing on the backs of the pullets, and no lacing, deeper body color, and any reddish color to the wing bow area, those will be boys

haha, they're chicas for sure. Dont see any feathering that would indicate cockerels on them. As I just posted to 4hchickmama, look at the neck and tail areas for pointed feathering. You be able to see it better than I can from the pics, but see the one in the back on the first pic with her head up? You can easily see it on her, all the hackle feathering is fat and rounded off. If you see that, and they are moreless grown sized birds like these, you know you always have a girl.

In this case, yep, you just got some highly opinionated ones LOL
Ok took loads of dreadful pics so will just post up a couple, I'm not kidding when I say they look like girl combs, lol. They are so pale. Just to remind you that these little brash squabblers are 6 weeks old.......

This one above is the beggar that had me. :D

So what do you reckon? 3 late developing boys or 3 particularly opinionated girls?
fl.gif

This is just an old pic I had on file, figured I'd add it for reference on the sexing by feather method. This is a phoenix project, so never mind the type and all, just focus on the hackle and saddles. Note how they are all long, thin and pointed, it's the same on our d'anvers too. So if you see feathering like that, you can be certain it's a boy

The girls on the otherhand will look like this. All the feathers in those areas are much fatter and rounded shape with minimal if any pointing to them. There doesnt apear to be distinct "groups" of feathers, just one flowing even ball of them, whereas on the cocks, you can usually see them in groupings, neck area, wing, saddle, tail, all eventually are distinct groups of feathers, if you can understand what I'm trying to say...LOL sometimes it's hard for me to type what I'm trying to express

Back
Top Bottom