D'Anvers Hen - not laying anymore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kindir, Jul 15, 2010.

1. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have 3 Belgian D'Anvers chickens - 2 hens and a roo. The two hens are in separate coops because they absolutely hate each other. The one in my mixed coop is doing fine, nice red comb, laying an egg every other day or so. The other one is in a coop with only the D'Anvers roo. She was doing fine, then I noticed her comb disappeared and she stopped laying. She hasn't layed an egg in about 4 weeks.

I wasn't sure if she just wasn't tolerating confinement well (although they have a huge coop for the two of them and a nice outside area). So now I've been letting them free range during the day. They seem happier but still no improvement in the comb on the hen. Rooster is fine. Any suggestions? She doesn't look sick, she's not eggbound or anything. I did notice that she isn't eating a lot of the chicken feed, but she eats the "other" stuff (mostly veggies) I put in there and munches on the grass plenty. Nutritional deficiency? The rooster isn't overzealous or anything either. He behaves like a gentleman... [​IMG]

2. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    I dont know the answer, but it could be due to an adjustment in location, shes getting ready for a molt, the weather where you are is too hot.
    I hear D'anvers are poor egg layers. Had one for 3 years I got as a "mystery bantam". She was a very friendly, curious, sweet girl, and a real lady. But she laid a whopping 2 eggs in the entire time she was with me, from the loft of the barn. They hit the ground and broke. So based on that, I am thrilled for you to be getting eggs at all from them!

3. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    Wow, perhaps I *am* lucky!! [​IMG]

The thing is, she WAS laying fine for a while. Not every day by any means, but 2-3 per week. I don't care if she lays any at all really, I just want be sure she's ok. It's the fact that her comb is no longer red and has shrunken down that is making me concerned more than the lack of eggs. I only got them because they were cute :)

I'll keep an eye on her, but she's acting ok so far, so I won't worry yet...

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Mine are two years old and stoppedlaying 6 months ago

5. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by