Daphne isn’t well.

Jenyenydot

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2021
Seattle, WA
There were signs of worms in somebody’s droppings, so I got some medication, and was able to get a dose into my other three girls using treats, but my RIR Daphne wasn’t having any of it. So I set up an isolation tank for her today to try and get the meds into her as well, because she’s been less active and hiding today. She’s got medicated feed, water with probiotics, and bread with the medicine on it that I was hoping she would go for, because the girls will all fight over bread if I give it as a rare treat. She’s so mad about being in her little cage, she won’t touch the treats. Just sits there staring at me with this look of betrayal in her eyes. What do I do? The girls are about 5.5 months old, and Daphne has not yet begun to lay.
001AA724-3A5E-4B9D-9C57-41615A555EF0.jpeg

All they had at my local feed store was a capsule with powdered fenbendazole. They recommended I mix in some medicated chick starter feed to get amprolium into them also, in case it’s coccidiosis. Dosage is 1 capsule per 4-7 lbs of body weight, and that’s what I put on the bread pieces. I added probiotics to her water, too.
2921CD3B-20E4-4A42-81D8-2C533DDB87B7.jpeg

All they had at my local feed store was a capsule with powdered fenbendazole. They recommended I mix in some medicated chick starter feed to get amprolium into them also, in case it’s coccidiosis. Dosage is 1 capsule per 4-7 lbs of body weight, and that’s what I put on the bread pieces. I added probiotics to her water, too. View attachment 2834643
Medicated chick feed will not cure coccidiosis, only help prevent. Corid will.

Last edited:
There were signs of worms in somebody’s droppings

She’s got medicated feed, water with probiotics, and bread with the medicine on it

They recommended I mix in some medicated chick starter feed to get amprolium into them also, in case it’s coccidiosis. Dosage is 1 capsule per 4-7 lbs of body weight, and that’s what I put on the bread pieces

The only Corid I can find online is labeled for calves. Where can I find what I need for my chickens?
What type of worms? Can you get some photos of her poop?

Those capsules - I'm really not sure how effective they will be. But if that's what you have, pop a capsule in her beak and let her swallow.

It's better to just get Safeguard liquid goat wormer and dose each bird at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days. This will treat most worms that chickens have, excluding Tapeworm.

Corid treats Coccidiosis. You found the right thing - it's in the cattle section. Dosing for chickens is 2tsp Liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Corid per gallon of water given as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.
Don't add electrolytes or extra vitamins when treating with Corid.

Dose her and put her back with the flock. Unless she's getting picked on, there's no need to isolate a bird like this.

Just make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Photos of her poop would be good.

What type of worms? Can you get some photos of her poop?

Those capsules - I'm really not sure how effective they will be. But if that's what you have, pop a capsule in her beak and let her swallow.

It's better to just get Safeguard liquid goat wormer and dose each bird at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days. This will treat most worms that chickens have, excluding Tapeworm.

Corid treats Coccidiosis. You found the right thing - it's in the cattle section. Dosing for chickens is 2tsp Liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Corid per gallon of water given as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.
Don't add electrolytes or extra vitamins when treating with Corid.

Dose her and put her back with the flock. Unless she's getting picked on, there's no need to isolate a bird like this.

Just make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Photos of her poop would be good.
Her poop is runny, full of mucous, and not much solid in there. 2 days ago, it was also red, which is what freaked me out the most. It’s pretty green now (?). Her crop feels normal - not full and impacted. She ate meal worms from my hand earlier, but didn’t want any scratch. I’m not sure she’s eating much else, and she’s standing kind of hunched up. She’s back with her sisters today - I only isolated her so I could be sure she got the medicine and none of her sisters got a double dose. Pic of recent poop (mostly mucous) attached, as well as a pic of the hunched up stance
3F4858F0-6E3B-46C6-A7BF-8CAF85797859.jpeg
882187A2-7DD8-4150-B2D3-233673B9046B.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom