Daphne needs prayers!

Pics

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
Daphne is headed to the vet today with severe reproductive issues. I always knew that they would likely cause her demise at some point, but she’s always rallied before now. At this point, I am concerned about EYP or a collection of stuck eggs in a various stages of development. She’s lethargic and straining. Calcium Gluconate hasn’t helped. Soaking hasn’t helped. This came on suddenly on Tuesday. Yesterday, she seemed brighter. Today, well, she’s not doing well.

I‘m dropping her off on the way to work, and my husband will pick her up later if all goes well.

Please send prayers and positive thoughts in her direction. She needs them all. Thank you ❤️

As a brief update before we go, she is currently bathing with some enthusiasm. She is also losing a lot of feathers, and I think that an early molt is triggering her current issues.

I’ve written a 4 page letter for the veterinary team as we are all still doing “curbside“ service here in Vermont. They are going to think I am nuts! 😂

I am working until 7ish, and won’t be able to update until later tonight.

Crossing fingers!

I'm curious, is she being fed any type of layer feed? I only ask because several family members are retired vets/vet techs who use to specialize in farm calls. They always recommended against layer feeds especially for ducks with reproductive issues and instead an all flock feed (also known as maintenance) with a bowl of oyster shells on the side. My ducks free-range during the day, but they have 24/7 access to all-flock feed (I really like Kalmbach's Non-GMO 16%) in their coop along with a bowl of oyster shells. I have never had any reproductive issues or even a single case of a hen being egg-bound. I also have found several articles written from individuals who's vets had the same recommendation to avoid the layer feed and once they switched to a maintenance feed their issues went away. Here's one of them- https://www.tyrantfarms.com/what-to...ducks-to-maximize-their-health-and-longevity/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200903-105911.png
    Screenshot_20200903-105911.png
    433.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20200903-105948.png
    Screenshot_20200903-105948.png
    442.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Daphne is headed to the vet today with severe reproductive issues. I always knew that they would likely cause her demise at some point, but she’s always rallied before now. At this point, I am concerned about EYP or a collection of stuck eggs in a various stages of development. She’s lethargic and straining. Calcium Gluconate hasn’t helped. Soaking hasn’t helped. This came on suddenly on Tuesday. Yesterday, she seemed brighter. Today, well, she’s not doing well.

I‘m dropping her off on the way to work, and my husband will pick her up later if all goes well.

Please send prayers and positive thoughts in her direction. She needs them all. Thank you ❤
Privilege to do so . All the LORD'S living things are important and deserving of His help .

Please send prayers and positive thoughts in her direction. She needs them all. Thank you ❤
Sending hugs and prayers from my flock and myself from southern vt, hope all goes well!!!!

I'm very sorry to hear about Daphne. My thoughts are with her, and you, today.

My pet duck, Thimbleberry, also has chronic reproductive issues. Under the guidance of her avian vet we have been able to make environmental changes and "turn off" her laying. Forgive me if I've already shared this with you. Let me know if you want more details, I'm happy to share.

Back
Top Bottom