Darby/Miner and Spencer Hackle Genetic hackle

I tie flies with my own feathers and I sell most of what i produce. Now I won’t say that they are top of the line Whiting quality, but the qualities I breed for are very strict. These birds come from renouned breeder lines. Spencer hackle, Darby and miner lines. If a person doesn’t buy direct lines they will likely find the twisting and unwanted characteristics from a regular chicken. Now they do throw some birds with twisting stems. You simply don’t breed with those birds. Selective breeding has around 20 qualities that I look for. With those qualities I seek to find the minute improvements and breed those birds. Don’t get these mixed up with fly tie birds. Most people haven’t had these because of the tight grips that Breeders keep on them.
There’s only a few people that I know of that have the birds I believe your speaking of. They are good I agree. I don’t know what people are selling called “fly tie” birds. That fad seems to have run its course. Anyone can breed a pheonix with a barred rock lol.
I’m wondering who your target is? That’s pretty steep for someone who ties flies considering a tier can buy many capes and saddles from whiting, Collins etc.. the rest of the people see pretty chickens and won’t pay the asking price. Most can’t keep their chickens alive.
As I’m sure you know twisting stems is a deal breaker. I’ve thrown whole capes right in the trash. Usually older Metz capes but a few others too.

There’s only a few people that I know of that have the birds I believe your speaking of. They are good I agree. I don’t know what people are selling called “fly tie” birds. That fad seems to have run its course. Anyone can breed a pheonix with a barred rock lol.
I’m wondering who your target is? That’s pretty steep for someone who ties flies considering a tier can buy many capes and saddles from whiting, Collins etc.. the rest of the people see pretty chickens and won’t pay the asking price. Most can’t keep their chickens alive.
As I’m sure you know twisting stems is a deal breaker. I’ve thrown whole capes right in the trash. Usually older Metz capes but a few others too.
There are actually many small breeders that have high quality birds. Whiting is going to have the best in midge and ultra small stuff hands down. We are actually experiencing a swing as small breeders in materials. Musky, pike, bass, and saltwater flies are beginning to take the main stage. Large buggy feathers are the focus in those fisheries. I don’t have to sell. I wouldn’t mind selling but I could instead of harvesting the birds. I’ll be harvesting hens as soon as i get some time off my 9-5. I’ll grab pictures then. I fish primarily trout but I sell most my capes and saddles to large game fishermen. They aren’t easy to keep, and certainly are a big commitment.

I tie flies with my own feathers and I sell most of what i produce. Now I won’t say that they are top of the line Whiting quality, but the qualities I breed for are very strict. These birds come from renouned breeder lines. Spencer hackle, Darby and miner lines. If a person doesn’t buy direct lines they will likely find the twisting and unwanted characteristics from a regular chicken. Now they do throw some birds with twisting stems. You simply don’t breed with those birds. Selective breeding has around 20 qualities that I look for. With those qualities I seek to find the minute improvements and breed those birds. Don’t get these mixed up with fly tie birds. Most people haven’t had these because of the tight grips that Breeders keep on them.
Are you still raising these?n

Are you still raising these?n

Dennis Heltzel of Welbars.com sells Genetic Hackle from the Alsdorf line.
I got a box of chicks shipped to me about 4 months ago and they were all in great condition. Beautiful, friendly birds.

Here's one at 2 months old...

ChickHackleBlonde.JPG

BlondieHackle.JPG

I started with different ( Aston line GHF) ine a few years ago , then recently was able ( by a fluke) to buy into one of the oldest Darbee lines. I will need another line to cross in at some point, probably sooner than later, as these are extremely tightly linebred birds. I did try an experimental cross with the Aston line, and am waiting to see the results. I hatched about 80 chicks this year to date. I would be willing to exchange some genetics, and can provide photographs, and would love to see photographs of the Alsdorfe line!

Last edited:
Gorgeous! I love those color chicks. Healthy looking, too!
I have a couple this color; however, the majority are Black, Dunn, Grizz, and Silver Grizz. The phaemelanin ( red) of the Barred Gingers I used was suppressed by the eumelanin ( black, black barred) of the hens, because I still don't have enough hens carrying red.
The chicks should be carrying the phaemelanin and this will give me more barred gingers in the future. I did get a few this year. I also purchased a couple of GHF Splash hens & a GHF Cream Rooster, I will be working with at the same time, also Darbee\ Miner.
Most of my roosters are Barred Gingers, Silver Badgers,.Grizz, Variants, Silver Barred( sometimes called Delaware). In addition, I am keeping copious notes on each to match their bands, photographs, and feather samples in plastic bags. The fertility is not where I would like it to be, which is why some new DNA introduction is necessary. The feathering length, density, color, sheen looks to be good, and we have the non molting gene present ( TG, as Brian Reeder named it) & active in the phenotype. Exciting stuff!

Dennis Heltzel of Welbars.com sells Genetic Hackle from the Alsdorf line.
I got a box of chicks shipped to me about 4 months ago and they were all in great condition. Beautiful, friendly birds.

Here's one at 2 months old...

View attachment 3225922

View attachment 3225923
How many are you working with, and how many will you be able to accomodate? I am getting all the individual rooster cages set up, and purchased a couple extra rather large sheds for the larger amount of birds.
What colors do you have, and have you raised these before? Please keep me apprised of your work with them, and I will do likewise!
Do you have a site available for the gentleman you purchased from?

Back
Top Bottom