Darby/Miner and Spencer Hackle Genetic hackle

dustponds10

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Rigby, Id
I raise and sell true genetic hackle chickens. They are from proven stock originating from Darby/Miner and Spencer Hackle lines. They are line bred and i have not Introduced any bone genetic hackle birds to them. Rare opportunity to pick up some pretty rare and hard to find birds. They are pick up only and I am only interested in selling them in a group. 5-7 young roosters from this years stock and 10-15 hens asking price is $15,000. Not often are there true genetic hackle birds available. Get them while you can. The barred ginger pictured is 4-5 months old and the grizzly is a breeder bird. Grizzly is not for sale just an example of the quality of the birds I breed. Serious inqueries on buying a group only please. I do not have eggs at this time and I do not sell eggs at any time.

Attachments

• 3C969B22-247B-4E60-901B-B3A7DA06FACC.jpeg
    3C969B22-247B-4E60-901B-B3A7DA06FACC.jpeg
    507 KB · Views: 191
  • 5EFD0B9E-1AAF-4525-9C3F-6F2A4EDE193F.jpeg
    5EFD0B9E-1AAF-4525-9C3F-6F2A4EDE193F.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 88D12107-A80B-47F7-A524-A731E0471104.jpeg
    88D12107-A80B-47F7-A524-A731E0471104.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 99
Here is an article in growler regarding the breed and the sought after feathers. Just thought interesting info. for those not familiar with the breed and it’s history.
https://growlermag.com/raising-hackles-the-prized-chickens-at-the-center-of-fly-fishing/

Have you ever used the feathers in fly’s?
Or sold flys just curious?
I tie flies with my own feathers and I sell most of what i produce. Now I won’t say that they are top of the line Whiting quality, but the qualities I breed for are very strict. These birds come from renouned breeder lines. Spencer hackle, Darby and miner lines. If a person doesn’t buy direct lines they will likely find the twisting and unwanted characteristics from a regular chicken. Now they do throw some birds with twisting stems. You simply don’t breed with those birds. Selective breeding has around 20 qualities that I look for. With those qualities I seek to find the minute improvements and breed those birds. Don’t get these mixed up with fly tie birds. Most people haven’t had these because of the tight grips that Breeders keep on them.

You won’t need thousands or even hundreds —there are many, I suspect, that raise just a few & have a half dozen really good Roos that are their exceptional breeders( hardy, vigorous, good fertility, good temperament and the right phenotype/genotype). It’s easier if you just focus on one color; some people just do black barred; cream, white, etc.
you can make lots of improvements that way to one sector. It’s very rewarding snd fun.
Where you have all those different colors, it would be hard to just select a couple!
Do you have neighbors that would object to crowing with more than one roo?
They have yet to object to the 30ish permanent males currently here.

I meant the price range based on what I've seen people here selling for. I don't think I've seen any less than a couple hundred per bird

This is so interesting and I'm really loving the discussion. I need some time to come up with a half decent reply, lol.
@Dovemaiden you inspired me to make a new thread so we can get all this info in one place, and also I realized we are in the chicks for sale subforum.
Would you consider copying your posts into the new thread? :D

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/genetic-hackle-fowl-chat.1544275/
I can copy some over if you think people might be interested in them.
I have been told that I make people’s eyes glaze over talking about this stuff, and that I write too much. ? ?

This is true; it is like that with many of the rare breeds, the price is prohibitive to most. Like the Ayam C’s, Onadagori, and most of the rare breeds of Greenfire Farms. There seem to be a lot more of the threatened breeds anymore, whenever I am reading new poultry literature.
If you look at Feather Farms out of California, ( I think that’s the name) even their Silkies and WCB Polish are very expensive for day-old chicks.
Then, they have a place to tip the employees working on your order.
That is something new I have not seen before, I was surprised since the birds are already quite expensive. On top of that, they are charging you California State tax although you are not a California resident, and California has a pretty hefty State Tax !
I don't think I paid a tax or tip when I ordered my birds from FLF. That was back in December though, so it's been a good few months

There’s only a few people that I know of that have the birds I believe your speaking of. They are good I agree. I don’t know what people are selling called “fly tie” birds. That fad seems to have run its course. Anyone can breed a pheonix with a barred rock lol.
I’m wondering who your target is? That’s pretty steep for someone who ties flies considering a tier can buy many capes and saddles from whiting, Collins etc.. the rest of the people see pretty chickens and won’t pay the asking price. Most can’t keep their chickens alive.
As I’m sure you know twisting stems is a deal breaker. I’ve thrown whole capes right in the trash. Usually older Metz capes but a few others too.
There are actually many small breeders that have high quality birds. Whiting is going to have the best in midge and ultra small stuff hands down. We are actually experiencing a swing as small breeders in materials. Musky, pike, bass, and saltwater flies are beginning to take the main stage. Large buggy feathers are the focus in those fisheries. I don’t have to sell. I wouldn’t mind selling but I could instead of harvesting the birds. I’ll be harvesting hens as soon as i get some time off my 9-5. I’ll grab pictures then. I fish primarily trout but I sell most my capes and saddles to large game fishermen. They aren’t easy to keep, and certainly are a big commitment.

Back
Top Bottom