Genetic Hackle Fowl Chat

Pics
Hi all, question about preserving fly tie capes and saddles - would anyone be able to share an image or drawing of where the skin in the back should be cut for a cape, a saddle, or both combined? Or a picture of the underside of a typical cape and saddle? I am taking a few regular roosters to the butcher today and would like to give him visual instructions.

Hi all, question about preserving fly tie capes and saddles - would anyone be able to share an image or drawing of where the skin in the back should be cut for a cape, a saddle, or both combined? Or a picture of the underside of a typical cape and saddle? I am taking a few regular roosters to the butcher today and would like to give him visual instructions.
ok, here is a link:
https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/raising-chickens

I’m surprised the hackle birds are not a popular ornamental breed like silkies or frizzles or cemanis. I think they’re beautiful chickens.
Oooh! I know the answer to this one!
It is because you must keep the roosters to get the real effect of the beauty with the Genetic Hackles. I also breed frizzle cochins and cemanis, and I can't even give away the extra cockerels, because everyone wants the pullets.
I find the line of Genetic Hackle that I maintain are the most mild mannered and quietest of all my chicken breeds. Still, roosters are not welcome in the backyards of most of my customers. A genetic hackle hen can make an excellent pet, but she will look a lot like other breeds, so I have no waiting lists for GH pullets, like those other breeds.
For those people with laying flocks that can have a rooster, the need is usually for a BMOC (Big Man On Coop) and the mild-mannered nature of a GH rooster will not put the fear of God into even a very small hawk, so I recommend a Marans or Welbar/Welsummer rooster. They are also very handsome and probably twice the height / weight.

Back
Top Bottom