Darby/Miner and Spencer Hackle Genetic hackle

One thing to consider( if you are not harvesting them for capes, but raising them to push the envelope on how far selection for these traits can take you) is that you could use one of those rooster collars to minimize crowing volume. It would not be feasible if you were harvesting capes off birds, but for a geneticist-hobbyist who is keeping just a few prime roosters for breeding, it would not be terrible. I have to pluck off( from the roots) the saddle hackle to allow breeding to occur. Otherwise, the excess hackle prevents the birds from making contact. I also have to pluck/clip around the cloaca on both sexes to allow breeding success. Therefore, with having removed saddle hackle already, some cape damage from a collar would not be something I could not live with. It would be different if you were showing them, naturally.
Watch some of Dr. Tom Whiting’s YouTube videos on GHF breeding! He just chops off the saddle feathers on his birds snd they are practically bald around the vents, LOL. Except, every time I see it& think of him snipping off those beautiful saddle feathers with a pair of shears, it breaks my heart.
Of course, they DO grow back! But they will do it faster if the feathers are plucked from the feather base, not snipped off. It takes about two years to grow back.😬

You won’t need thousands or even hundreds —there are many, I suspect, that raise just a few & have a half dozen really good Roos that are their exceptional breeders( hardy, vigorous, good fertility, good temperament and the right phenotype/genotype). It’s easier if you just focus on one color; some people just do black barred; cream, white, etc.
you can make lots of improvements that way to one sector. It’s very rewarding snd fun.
Where you have all those different colors, it would be hard to just select a couple!
Do you have neighbors that would object to crowing with more than one roo?
They have yet to object to the 30ish permanent males currently here.

I meant the price range based on what I've seen people here selling for. I don't think I've seen any less than a couple hundred per bird

This is so interesting and I'm really loving the discussion. I need some time to come up with a half decent reply, lol.
@Dovemaiden you inspired me to make a new thread so we can get all this info in one place, and also I realized we are in the chicks for sale subforum.
Would you consider copying your posts into the new thread? :D

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/genetic-hackle-fowl-chat.1544275/
They have yet to object to the 30ish permanent males currently here.

I meant the price range based on what I've seen people here selling for. I don't think I've seen any less than a couple hundred per bird
This is true; it is like that with many of the rare breeds, the price is prohibitive to most. Like the Ayam C’s, Onadagori, and most of the rare breeds of Greenfire Farms. There seem to be a lot more of the threatened breeds anymore, whenever I am reading new poultry literature.
If you look at Feather Farms out of California, ( I think that’s the name) even their Silkies and WCB Polish are very expensive for day-old chicks.
Then, they have a place to tip the employees working on your order.
That is something new I have not seen before, I was surprised since the birds are already quite expensive. On top of that, they are charging you California State tax although you are not a California resident, and California has a pretty hefty State Tax !

This is so interesting and I'm really loving the discussion. I need some time to come up with a half decent reply, lol.
@Dovemaiden you inspired me to make a new thread so we can get all this info in one place, and also I realized we are in the chicks for sale subforum.
Would you consider copying your posts into the new thread? :D

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/genetic-hackle-fowl-chat.1544275/
I can copy some over if you think people might be interested in them.
I have been told that I make people’s eyes glaze over talking about this stuff, and that I write too much. ? ?

This is true; it is like that with many of the rare breeds, the price is prohibitive to most. Like the Ayam C’s, Onadagori, and most of the rare breeds of Greenfire Farms. There seem to be a lot more of the threatened breeds anymore, whenever I am reading new poultry literature.
If you look at Feather Farms out of California, ( I think that’s the name) even their Silkies and WCB Polish are very expensive for day-old chicks.
Then, they have a place to tip the employees working on your order.
That is something new I have not seen before, I was surprised since the birds are already quite expensive. On top of that, they are charging you California State tax although you are not a California resident, and California has a pretty hefty State Tax !
I don't think I paid a tax or tip when I ordered my birds from FLF. That was back in December though, so it's been a good few months

Back
Top Bottom