Darby/Miner and Spencer Hackle Genetic hackle

I started with different ( Aston line GHF) ine a few years ago , then recently was able ( by a fluke) to buy into one of the oldest Darbee lines. I will need another line to cross in at some point, probably sooner than later, as these are extremely tightly linebred birds. I did try an experimental cross with the Aston line, and am waiting to see the results. I hatched about 80 chicks this year to date. I would be willing to exchange some genetics, and can provide photographs, and would love to see photographs of the Alsdorfe line!

Awesome! Yes, I'd also love to have another line to cross in.
Dennis has some nice pictures on his website.
Mine are still in a teen phase with capes only just starting to lengthen. I have one in particular that was always the biggest by far and I thought was a pullet with such a mild demeanor, but the tail is getting so long already it's making me think twice. Need to get new pictures!
I have 18 that are a mix of colors with the Blondes as pictured, lots of Blacks, one Silver and two Reds. I'm just waiting for them to grow a bit more so I can select the best breeders. I feel like if I pick too soon, I'll miss something cool, lol. What age do you select your breeders?
We're expanding our pens, as I plan to pursue several projects and Hackles are one of them. It's my first time with Hackles, they are such lovely birds!
On colors, I still get a little confused with the terminology. Can I see a pic of your Gingers please?

Here's one of our Red pullets (at 2 months)...

Peachy3.JPG

Mine are still in a teen phase with capes only just starting to lengthen. I have one in particular that was always the biggest by far and I thought was a pullet with such a mild demeanor, but the tail is getting so long already it's making me think twice. Need to get new pictures!
I have 18 that are a mix of colors with the Blondes as pictured, lots of Blacks, one Silver and two Reds. I'm just waiting for them to grow a bit more so I can select the best breeders. I feel like if I pick too soon, I'll miss something cool, lol. What age do you select your breeders?
We're expanding our pens, as I plan to pursue several projects and Hackles are one of them. It's my first time with Hackles, they are such lovely birds!
On colors, I still get a little confused with the terminology. Can I see a pic of your Gingers please?

View attachment 3225924
I learned the correct color names by reading Brian Reeders books.
Cackle Hatchery is super helpful with their photographs of the colors that you can match with Mr. Reeder’s correct terminology ( Silver duckwing, golden duckwing, etc).
What gets confusing is the fly-tiers terminology. Using Badger, Grizz, Cree etc.
I will pull-up photos in the next couple days and show you the original color name if you were showing in a poultry show; then the same color bird snd what fly fisherman call it. I wish it were more straightforward, just using the correct name, not the other terms. Somewhere out there is supposed to be a chart with all of them put up by a fly fisherman, but I have never found it.

View attachment 3225924
Lovely little hen!

These two books are invaluable; and I had the privilege of actually talking with Mr. Brian Reeder, and he is an extremely knowledgeable young man.

Attachments

• EA4BF504-B651-4EB3-8D82-A3E3A33E0A1A.png
    EA4BF504-B651-4EB3-8D82-A3E3A33E0A1A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D5DA84D4-D269-4096-8E05-8E821B5DA218.png
    D5DA84D4-D269-4096-8E05-8E821B5DA218.png
    980 KB · Views: 0
I learned the correct color names by reading Brian Reeders books.
Cackle Hatchery is super helpful with their photographs of the colors that you can match with Mr. Reeder’s correct terminology ( Silver duckwing, golden duckwing, etc).
What gets confusing is the fly-tiers terminology. Using Badger, Grizz, Cree etc.
I will pull-up photos in the next couple days and show you the original color name if you were showing in a poultry show; then the same color bird snd what fly fisherman call it. I wish it were more straightforward, just using the correct name, not the other terms. Somewhere out there is supposed to be a chart with all of them put up by a fly fisherman, but I have never found it.
Also, do you have a copy of this years( 2022) Cackle Hatchery catalog? I can compare some pages with you thru texting here and help you ID the colors. The catalog the year before was better, but I gave that copy to a friend. However, I ca pull up images from the internet that are common domain to illustrate the colors as well.

Back
Top Bottom