5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Hi guys,

I just have some new borns in my chickens family
Please help me finding whether they are males or females

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

It is too young to tell. I'd post new photos when it is around 8 weeks old; by then, we should be able to tell.

Guys just adopted this dark brahma chick from someone
been in bad shape but I will take care of him/her
Please tell me what is this male or female??
Please do reply

Please do reply

This chick is too young to tell gender. All we can do at this age is guess.

Hi guys,

I just have some new borns in my chickens family
Please help me finding whether they are males or females
I don't see any obvious male development on any of them, feather development is only reliable for some breeds and some genetic strains, but crest and wattle development is much more reliable almost as a rule. However, chicks raised artificially lag behind naturally raised ones and often remain effectively gender-'blank' until about 6 to 10 weeks.

If they'd been reared and incubated by a hen, not a machine, I bet you'd be able to sex them by sight. I don't have any trouble reliably sexing the vast majority of chicks naturally reared, even before many of them are fully out of the egg, but artificially reared ones always seem to be developmentally retarded. Then again some breeds are just like that, breed type has a strong influence as does whether or not their parents and grandparents were raised free range and naturally. I know all this is contentious and controversial to many but it's always been my experience of it.

Please do reply

Normally, with that type of wing feathering, you could bet on it being male, but when they've been poorly looked after all bets are off. Also, it's a Brahma, and they are notorious for slow gender development.

Best wishes.

I don't see any obvious male development on any of them, feather development is only reliable for some breeds and some genetic strains, but crest and wattle development is much more reliable almost as a rule. However, chicks raised artificially lag behind naturally raised ones and often remain effectively gender-'blank' until about 6 to 10 weeks.

If they'd been reared and incubated by a hen, not a machine, I bet you'd be able to sex them by sight. I don't have any trouble reliably sexing the vast majority of chicks naturally reared, even before many of them are fully out of the egg, but artificially reared ones always seem to be developmentally retarded. Then again some breeds are just like that, breed type has a strong influence as does whether or not their parents and grandparents were raised free range and naturally. I know all this is contentious and controversial to many but it's always been my experience of it.

Normally, with that type of wing feathering, you could bet on it being male, but when they've been poorly looked after all bets are off. Also, it's a Brahma, and they are notorious for slow gender development.

Best wishes.

Thank you chooks4life
So it is 3 for male (You, me and 1 other person of same opinion) and 0 for female
I researched a lot and had the same opinion as of yours that his might be a male
this chick is not a young one it is about 6 weeks old
and I thought from whom I got this one placed it with grown up brahma males who plucked his feathers

Anyways Thanks chooks4life

Back
Top Bottom