Dark Brahma genders

Gotcha. Good to know if we ever get any of them. I like the breeds that have that easily distinguished color difference between the sexes. Makes it so much easier (instead of playing the waiting game). :D
To be honest, Brahmas are still somewhat of a waiting game. They look the same as chicks, but feather color does make it a shorter waiting game.

Gotcha. Good to know if we ever get any of them. I like the breeds that have that easily distinguished color difference between the sexes. Makes it so much easier (instead of playing the waiting game). :D
Yep it does make things abit easier when it comes to sexing. Though both male, & female Red JungleFowl have Salmon breasts, before the males actually start getting black in the breast feathers.

I got some Dark Brahma hatching eggs from a local breeder in order to add to my flock. I ended up with mostly cockerels, go figure, but there are 2 that have me confused. They are now 12 weeks old and the boys have got traditional rooster coloring and have started getting the pointed saddle feathers, except these 2 that have what looks like rooster coloring, but round saddle feathers. My definite girls already have their pencilling and traditional colors. This is the first chick in question. View attachment 3187629View attachment 3187633View attachment 3187636
This is chick in question #2.
View attachment 3187642View attachment 3187644View attachment 3187641

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Uww, I like the clean leg/hairy leg thing he has going on. :D

I did pick up 1 last year that had rooster coloring but was definitely a hen, but I've figured out this year that the rooster I picked up from the same place has some Light Brahma mixed in with the dark, so she may have been the same. Unfortunately, I lost her to shock after a run in with a dog last fall. This is what she looked like(in front of the kennel, rooster was in the kennel).
View attachment 3187677
Oh no, so even "seeing" a dog can kill them? Newbie here and DB are proving to be one of my fave breeds.

Back
Top Bottom