Dark Brahma Pullets @ 8 wks - Why does one look different?

Cerise1924

Crowing
Aug 22, 2016
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Hi!

I hatched 3 Dark Brahmas in late January from shipped eggs. One chick was smaller and slower to feather. MY BYC friends have confirmed they are all pullets.

At 8 weeks old, that smaller chick still looks very different from her sisters. At the top of the pic are the larger, faster-feathering pullets. They have a lot more splotchy white on them.

The pullet at the bottom of the pic has fine barring or penciling (sorry, not sure about the terms) all over, and does not have the white. Her grey is a little more taupe, and at times I think I see a faint sheen of teal on a couple of her feathers.

Is it normal for there to be such a difference in feathering for DB pullets of the same age?

Do you think I was sent something other than a pure Dark Brahma?

Thanks for any input you may have.

The bottom one looks more like what I would expect a dark Brahma pullet to look like. Probably just normal variations in juvenile plumage.

Hi, I am a new member as of tonight. I saw your post and am very interested in getting Brahma chicks or eggs. Can you share your source ? Thank you , Karen Elliott...I am in Kentucky

Hi! I hatched 3 Dark Brahmas in late January from shipped eggs. One chick was smaller and slower to feather. MY BYC friends have confirmed they are all pullets. At 8 weeks old, that smaller chick still looks very different from her sisters. At the top of the pic are the larger, faster-feathering pullets. They have a lot more splotchy white on them. The pullet at the bottom of the pic has fine barring or penciling (sorry, not sure about the terms) all over, and does not have the white. Her grey is a little more taupe, and at times I think I see a faint sheen of teal on a couple of her feathers. Is it normal for there to be such a difference in feathering for DB pullets of the same age? Do you think I was sent something other than a pure Dark Brahma? Thanks for any input you may have.
Possibly that one on the bottom is a Cockerel if its getting the green feathering....Just a guess...;) Also , the lack,of tail feathering has me thinking Cockerel......;) Wait a few more weeks for it to mature.... :).......Cheers!

Last edited:
I suspect two cockerels and a pullet. Please take pics showing chest feathers. The upper two have a white patch beginning on the wing bow even in juvenile feathers and the chests are likely to be either white with black splotches or black.

Last edited:
Possibly that one on the bottom is a Cockerel if its getting the green feathering....Just a guess...;)

Also , the lack,of tail feathering has me thinking Cockerel......;)

Wait a few more weeks for it to mature....

:).......Cheers!

Brahma pullets should have short tails. The easiest way to tell with these is the dramatic difference in adult patterning but it begins to show before they reach adulthood.

Possibly that one on the bottom is a Cockerel if its getting the green feathering....Just a guess...;)

Also , the lack,of tail feathering has me thinking Cockerel......;)

Wait a few more weeks for it to mature....

:).......Cheers!

Brahma pullets should have short tails. The easiest way to tell with these is the dramatic difference in adult patterning but it begins to show before they reach adulthood.

You must think Im stupid?...lol...;).....I'm not.....Cockerels are slow to grow in the tail feathers....;)

Anyways, always someone to contradict a persons reply here in the Chicken threads...;)

Cheers!

Hi!

I hatched 3 Dark Brahmas in late January from shipped eggs. One chick was smaller and slower to feather. MY BYC friends have confirmed they are all pullets.

At 8 weeks old, that smaller chick still looks very different from her sisters. At the top of the pic are the larger, faster-feathering pullets. They have a lot more splotchy white on them.

The pullet at the bottom of the pic has fine barring or penciling (sorry, not sure about the terms) all over, and does not have the white. Her grey is a little more taupe, and at times I think I see a faint sheen of teal on a couple of her feathers.

Is it normal for there to be such a difference in feathering for DB pullets of the same age?

Do you think I was sent something other than a pure Dark Brahma?

Thanks for any input you may have.

I suspect two cockerels and a pullet. Please take pics showing chest feathers. The upper two have a white patch beginning on the wing bow even in juvenile feathers and the chests are likely to be either white with black splotches or black.
I am not familiar with Brahma, and not familiar with their feather patterning. But, going on general knowledge of other breeds, I'm guessing, based on the coloring (if indeed these three are all pure brahma, and representative of the breed) that you've got 2 cockrels, and one pullet. Now, I've got to do some homework!

A Brahma Cockerel and even a cross cockerel is slow to get his tail feathers...They are slow maturing Birds..Pullets get a nice tail as soon as they grow feathers...;).....Cockerels are usually late to crow also..:)...I have 9 right now and 3 are Cockerels and 6 Pullets..:).

Oh , well...;)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom