Dark Brn Egg Layer- Favorites?

Quote:
The commercial hatcheries tend to sell only Cuckoo Marans, which look a lot like Barred Rocks and seem to lay eggs only about as dark as Barred Rocks. Hmmmmm...

Mine just started to lay eggs late last summer and a neighbor's dog killed them all. I got more from Bev Davis, they hatched in mid February, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for eggs before too much longer.

Oh, sorry about your birds-that's awful. I hate it when people let their dogs run loose.
I have one BR pullet now and I guess I would be pretty disappointed if I got a Marans and her eggs were no different than the BR. I might as well get another BR-the one I have is sweet.
Well, I suppose if I can't find someone around here who has the Black Copper type or some that really truly have the very dark eggs I will pass because, really, I just want to keep my little flock small and special.
But, my God those eggs look so fabulous in the pictures!

Quote:
Actually, that's a good point because I am in California and live in an area that has pretty mild winters, but the summers can really be quite hot. About one month out of the year, we can get quite a few days of triple digit weather. I hope it won't be a problem. I am building my coop in the most shaded area of the property. That's where I have my horses as well. The websites I looked at when I was choosing my birds had information on how well the different breeds do in the winter, but none had information on their tolerance in the warm climates. Well, this will be their first summer, so I guess I will need to really watch them.

Thanks!

Quote:
i dont know about that because my hens are a little over protective of all the younger ones but they are pretty gentle

I actually didn't know the Australorps laid drk brown eggs. I can get those here as well.
hmm.png

Australorps don't lay dark eggs either. Generally people credit the following breeds with the title "Dark Egg Layers": Marans, Welsummers, Barnevelders, and the less common Pendesencas, and the very rare Empordanesas. That's it as far as I know. There are endless color varieties with the Marans, two with the Welsummers that I know off hand, only single, double, and triple lacing on the Barnevelders, and a few colors with the Pendesencas and Empordanesas.

My Marans were great birds. Had Cuckoo in several lines, Black Copper, Black, and was working on Birchin. Wonderful layers of a decent dark egg. They occasionally went broody.

The Welsummers are very pretty and layed quite well. Their eggs were dark, but were more of a terra cotta color, whereas the Marans eggs were more red-chocolate. Every now and then one or two would go broody.

The Barnevelders are gorgeous birds. Absolutely beautiful. But mine only layed for four months out of the year and out of thirty hens I was lucky to get more than 3 eggs a day. More often than not 0-3 was the norm. When the pullets started up they would lay a few dark eggs but nothing like the Marans worst. Their eggs were really a tinted cream at most.

The Crele Pendesencas layed fairly well. Usually got 2-4 eggs a day out of 4-5 hens. A little darker than the Welsummers. They were pretty but super flighty. And the rooster had a little attitude problem. The Black Pendesencas were worse than the Barnvelders. I think the pullet layed about five eggs in two weeks and then didn't lay again. Very pretty but even worse about spazzing when I walked out there than the Creles. That pair get even get the Cochins upset.

Depending on what you want all the breed have something nice about them. The Marans and Welsummers definitely layed the best, had the best disposition, and were the prettiest to me. The Barnies were gorgeous too, but they just ate feed. The Pens were valuable, layed fairly well, and they were alright to look at, but not much else.

Can't really tell you which I prefer at this time but I have Marans and Barnevelders. They are about 10wks old at this time but I am looking forward to seeing what color eggs I get. The Marans are really shy and quiet. The Barnevelders are more spirited and I am really excited at how they are growing up. I do believe the Barnevelders are really going to be beautiful birds.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom