Dark Brn Egg Layer- Favorites?

Well if they lay eggs as dark as the pics in some of these links I want some.
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=309953

http://www.bevsmarans.com/TRUE Marans.htm

Do you see the difference. Those eggs are really dark.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks so much for your information and links. Those eggs are so beautiful. It sounds like from everything I'm seeing that the Black Copper variety might lay the darkest eggs and that most likely you have to go to a private breeder to a find a Marans that truly lays the very dark ones.
So I found a link for you. Just scroll down the page until you get to the soft boiled egg with the little wedge of toast in it. OMG. YUM!

http://marans-club.club.fr/loeufang.htm#loeufang

thanks again

Quote:
So, tell me. What do your eggs look like and how do the Welsummer and Marans eggs compare?

thanks!

I was juggling this same question for quite awhile. Marans or Welsummer? Welsummer or Marans?

I finally decided on Welsummers, at least for now. I joined Marans-dedicated yahoo groups, Welsummer yahoo groups, and a general dark egglayer yahoo group. I searched the web, and listened to folks here. And here are the essential things I learned that helped my decision along --

1. Marans are undergoing a serious fad phase right now. Prices are through the ROOF.
2. Marans tend to be quite large birds -- I'm personally looking for more medium-sized birds.
3. Marans are said to be big time feed hogs -- not very efficient!
4. Only the well bred Marans have seriously dark eggs -- and, of course, those are the most expensive birds that you'll have to wait the longest for.
5. Welsummers are medium-sized, quite attractive, and have good personalities.
6. Welsummers lay reasonably dark eggs, and they are reasonably priced.
7. I love the "classic rooster" look of the Welsummer roos.

That's why *I* decided on Welsummers. I hope it helps with your decision!

Quote:
Those are gorgeous and very glowy! So, they are quite dark. Thank you for sending the pics so I could see what people are actually producing, rather then what is on the breed club site.
smile.png

I agree with amazondoc about the Welsummers!

None of my Welsummers are from hatcheries...they were from private breeders, Christie, Gordie and a friend that had a flock she bought directly as chicks from Calicowoods. Out of the three of the Welsummers I got here, the one from Calicowoods is the darkest and very little big spots on her egg.

Estes Hatchery has all of Harry Shaw's Welsummers and they dont use other hatchery's Wellies for their breedings. They told me that they bought Shaw's birds two days after he passed away and been doing that since then.

The hatchery Wellies are disappointing, they were too light.

Quote:
Hi,

you have to search for a black-copper Marans, the lay the darktest egge in the Marans family.

Regards
DR

I have only the cuckoo marans right now. I've been working on my breeding flock for about 3 years and have hens that lay a consistant 6-7 on the marans color chart. The experts will tell you that 8 and 9 colored eggs,while desirable,are rare. Some hens may lay a few of that color sometime during the laying cycle. Mine have a good personality and are calm birds. They don't eat any more than the other chickens and are quite large. They do tend to go broody. I think i've had 6 go broody this year. Here is a pic of some of mine in the bater. The darker eggs.
eggsinincubater002.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom