Dark EE's

tiffinimarie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Grand Blanc, MI
Is it true that the darker EE's are usually male and the lighter ones are usually female? I thought I had heard that here somewhere before. I got 4 EE's today. Out of the 4 EE's that I got in my last batch, one turned out to be a boy. They are gone now, and I am hoping all of these will be girls. Is there any way to tell by color?

Tiffini

I got two EE's and the LIGHTER colored one turned out to be a boy.. I was told he had very typical EE cockerel coloring and patterns. My EE pullet was a typical orange/black mixture.

Our batch of 20 EEs is a bit too young to sex ( 4 weeks), but we are watching early feather development and coloration. We are guessing MOST of the standard orange/black ones are hens but are betting the ones with any white speckling are roos.

No, I just hatched a very dark brown EE chick and from day one I thought I had a boy because of its boyish behaviour. However, now it is feathering out, dark brown with lighter patches, the comb is very pale, so I am 100% sure that I have a girl.

my white EE just crowed.
sad.png
S/He is so pretty too...cream colored with very light gray feathers interspersed. I wonder if she was just clearing her throat and it came out wrong??

I ordered EE day old pullets from a hatchery, and they could have sent me the wrong stuff, but they range in color from yellow (looking to turn white now that they're older) to dark brown. I think there's a lot of variation.

Back
Top Bottom