1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Dark EE's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffinimarie, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tiffinimarie

tiffinimarie In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Is it true that the darker EE's are usually male and the lighter ones are usually female? I thought I had heard that here somewhere before. I got 4 EE's today. Out of the 4 EE's that I got in my last batch, one turned out to be a boy. They are gone now, and I am hoping all of these will be girls. Is there any way to tell by color?

Tiffini

2. BayChicks

BayChicks In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Reedville
    Easter Eggers? It can go either way -
    Kim

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I got two EE's and the LIGHTER colored one turned out to be a boy.. I was told he had very typical EE cockerel coloring and patterns. My EE pullet was a typical orange/black mixture.

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Our batch of 20 EEs is a bit too young to sex ( 4 weeks), but we are watching early feather development and coloration. We are guessing MOST of the standard orange/black ones are hens but are betting the ones with any white speckling are roos.

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Songster

May 24, 2008
    No, I just hatched a very dark brown EE chick and from day one I thought I had a boy because of its boyish behaviour. However, now it is feathering out, dark brown with lighter patches, the comb is very pale, so I am 100% sure that I have a girl.

6. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    my white EE just crowed. [​IMG] S/He is so pretty too...cream colored with very light gray feathers interspersed. I wonder if she was just clearing her throat and it came out wrong??

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Songster

Quote:There's always hope.........[​IMG]

8. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Songster

May 24, 2008
    Quote:There's always hope.........[​IMG]

.........and denial........... [​IMG]

9. becstalls

becstalls In the Brooder

May 22, 2010
    I ordered EE day old pullets from a hatchery, and they could have sent me the wrong stuff, but they range in color from yellow (looking to turn white now that they're older) to dark brown. I think there's a lot of variation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by