Dark Egg Breeds Thread

I usually don't count points on the blade if they're that small. If they're any bigger, I don't count em - But I consider them a fault.

Oh, and if we want to talk awesome egg color in dark laying breeds, check out this. . . A plum colored egg from Wynette's stock of Black Coppers.
love.gif
(third from the right, bottom row)

5130233466_49e63f98e3_z.jpg

One of the girls, not sure who, lays an egg with a nice blume on it like this about once every 3-4 eggs. Each one is a little different, but they all are a beautiful plum or berry-shake type color.

right back atcha ..... pink what are you feeding them paint? nice color......i am off work today in west virginia because of all the rain so i got a chance to mess with chickens ,green house and cleaned the shed ,,,,, much better then work , all of my wheatens and ee have stoped laying almost 3 weeks i sure hope there is nothing wrong with them ,,,,

,,,last year was around 70 hatched , i relocated all but 10 and now i want to get the dust off the incubator and hatch more !

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
I think in the category of faults, a little tiny point on the blade, would be a fairly minor one. Seems to me there are so many more important things to work on.

But with the number of regular points, if he has 6 and you breed him to hens with 5, I'll bet you get chicks with 5. Might be a fun experiment to mark the eggs that came from hens with 5 points before you hatch them and see what you get.

Here's one of my young cockerels. This boy is not my favorite, but he is best overall because he really doesn't have any significant faults; that I can see at least.
His father, Boo, is not perfect, but he did throw his confirmation and tail angle on several of his offspring which makes me happy.

With my flock, if the cockerel's tails are close to horizontal at this age (7 1/2 Months), at full maturity when the sickle feathers have fully grown in, the tail angle will usually be about right. However; if at 7 months they have a 45 degree tail angle, at maturity the tail will probably be too high.

I would prefer his hackle color had a little more reddish tone, but for me, it's acceptable the way it is. I think he would just be a prettier bird if he had a reddish copper tone as opposed to the orangey copper tone. Not mahogany though, I don't personally like that or think it is correct.-for my birds anyway.

11818_3rd_gen_cockerels_031.jpg

He's on the left in this pic
11818_3rd_gen_cockerels_022.jpg

And here's one of his brothers on the right. I like this guy because his confirmation is real nice. He's a little bigger and and has more presence than his brother. But unfortunately, he still has some white down under his hackles and white feathers at the base of his tail. Hopefully, he just needs more time to mature. But his fault that bothers me is that he has very, very sparse leg feathering. he only has about 2 feathers on each leg-
lol.png

11818_3rd_gen_cockerels_023.jpg

I couldn't get a decent pic of my favorite young cockerel. He wouldn't stand still
rant.gif
His tail feathers and comb are chewed up and bent, but he really is a pretty boy I swear.
gig.gif

I had to move him out of the bachelor pen-they were really beating up on him. So now he's a happy boy in the pullet pen. Reason why I like him, is because he has that reddish copper color, has a small amount of red spotting on his upper breast and good red shoulders, but he also has completely jet black wing bars and bays and has correctly colored legs for a bird that is ER/ER. Doesn't mean he is, but I believe his phenotype is correct. His confirmation is not as good as the other two unfortunately, but I still like him best.

11818_3rd_gen_cockerels_060.jpg

Last edited:
Hi drom!!!!!!! Hope all is going well with you and yours!

That first boy of your is really a nice looker! Good job! Would ya take a look at the comb on that second boy, man o man that is one proud comb. Atleast he has those 2 feathers and that is what counts.
smile.png

I like them all really, nice gorgeous copper colors! Yummy!
smile.png
clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Pink!!
He thinks he's pretty special.
lol.png
Actually I'm not surprised he still has some white. He was a little tuxedo chick

11818_3rdgenapril2010_007.jpg

And here's one of my poor starving mares.

11818_3rd_gen_cockerels_036.jpg

I know you're probably thinking wow that's a pretty big Welsh Pony.

But she's actually a warmblood with a penchant for cookies.
roll.png

It's not my fault
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom