Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Bwalden,

I like the color comparison.

What do you think the color difference is between the two breeds? Not the darkness, but do you see more orange in the welsummer eggs?
Yes Welsummers have more orange or commonly called terra cotta tinted eggs. Also they are often speckled a lot more than Marans eggs. Marans when they are at their darkest point in their laying cycle can appear to have a purple tint to them. Pictures often don't do either breeds actual color justice. I love both breeds! At first it was because of the eggs but over the years it's became more than just about the eggs. They are both great breeds.

Yes Welsummers have more orange or commonly called terra cotta tinted eggs. Also they are often speckled a lot more than Marans eggs. Marans when they are at their darkest point in their laying cycle can appear to have a purple tint to them. Pictures often don't do either breeds actual color justice. I love both breeds! At first it was because of the eggs but over the years it's became more than just about the eggs. They are both great breeds.

barnevelder eggs are similar--a bit more orange with speckles.

they are all very nice looking.

Yep, I really like both, and I have had both (hatchery) but this year I have four cute from a breeder quality Black Copper Marans growing up. Their personalities ARE SO MUCH BETTER than the hatchery ones (but I had hatchery cuckoo Marans, not sure if that makes a difference too.)

Hi guys we have chicks including Marans, Penedesenca and wellsummer in quarantine over here in Australia about to be destroyed due to one chick testing positive to salmonella (which we already have over here) No other birds has tested positive before or after this incident over 5 weeks ago yet they plan to kill 4000 rare breed chickens brought over here to better our gene pools, lessen illegal smuggling and help preserve some of the world rarest poultry breeds over here in our country, Please read the following link and sign it if you can :)
http://www.change.org/petitions/aus...ction-of-rare-breed-poultry-on-16th-july-2013

I haven't started work on my Marans just yet but this is an egg that my Marans have just started laying!

The one to left of it is a speckled egg ( Marans ) they still need to perfect their laying.
Trust me they are much darker than this picture show!!!

I haven't started work on my Marans just yet but this is an egg that my Marans have just started laying!

The one to left of it is a speckled egg ( Marans ) they still need to perfect their laying.
Trust me they are much darker than this picture show!!!
While a white egg is a logical color for comparison, I find it distorts the dark coloring of the other eggs. Same reason I don't take outside photos on bright sunny days rather overcast is usually better.

Back
Top Bottom