Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Really interesting Pink Chick, thanks for posting this! It sounds like speckling has a utility in nature, it's not just for fun like I thought It was! ahahha. I went to the site. Those little Guillemot eggs they have pictured look exactly like rocks; clever, clever birds.

Here is some more information that I read at that same time. Borrowed from Wikipedia.
Protoporphyrin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Protoporphyrins are tetrapyrroles containing the following side chains:

methyl (4)
propionic acid (2)
vinyl (2)
Protoporphyrin IX is a biochemically widely used carrier molecule for divalent cations. Together with iron (Fe 2+) the body of the heme- group of hemoglobin, myoglobin and many other heme-containing enzymes like cytochrome c and catalase are formed. Complexed with magnesium-ions (Mg 2+) the main part of the Chlorophylls are formed. Complexed with zinc-ions (Zn 2+) it forms Zinc protoporphyrin.

The number (e.g. IX) indicates the position of different side chains, but historically, as the the nomenclature has grown, it has done so systematically only in parts.

Protoporphyrin IX as a direct precursor of heme is accumulated by patients of erythropoietic protoporphyria, which is one of the genetic disorders of the biosynthesis of the heme -pathway. It causes a severe photosensivity against visible light.

The sensitivity of protoporphyrin IX against light is also used as a therapy against different forms of cancer (photodynamic therapy, PDT).

Protoporphyrins are deposited in the shells of the eggs of some birds as a brown or red pigment, either as a ground colour or as spotting. This occurs in most passerine species, some ground-nesting non-passerines, such as waders, gulls, nightjars and sandgrouse, where it provides camouflage, and some parasitic cuckoos, which need to mimic their passerine hosts' eggs.

Protoporphyrins strengthen the egg shell, and are deposited where the shell is too thin as a result of calcium shortage. Spotting therefore tend to be heavier where the local soil is calcium-deficient, and in the eggs laid last in a clutch.

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF MY DARK EGG LAYERS & THEIR EGGS. HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY.
thumbsup.gif

HERE IS SOME PICS OF MY PENEDESENCA & THEIR EGGS IN THE INCUBATOR
[img
12005_10_027.jpg
12005_10_026.jpg

12005_10_033.jpg
12005_10_112.jpg

MY MARANS & THEIR EGGS ON AN EGG TURNER.
12005_dsc00027.jpg
12005_dsc00032.jpg

12005_puppies_360.jpg
12005_20008-12-01_012.jpg

MY WELSUMMER & THEIR EGGS
12005_2010-05-10_144929.jpg

12005_2010-05-10_144938.jpg
12005_2010-05-22_145757.jpg

12005_2010-05-10_150103.jpg
12005_2010-05-22_143856.jpg

Well I know I just said it in the other thread too, but it's worthy of repeating, that BCM rooster of Josh's is one of the finest specimens I've ever seen. Certainly in the top 5 for me.

Doubble Thanks
lol.png

But I am a little rusty on My Marans, I have not worked with them in a while. He was an extra Marans roo I kept.
He was an excellant producer, just got a little on the mean side once he hit 2yrs of age. dont; know why though ???
So he had to go !
tongue.gif

I'm not a total SOP-geek myself, but that comb, that copper color, that lack of blonde in the hackles, the black breast, the pearly legs...that's one hot rooster. My own boy looks similar, but has an extra point on his comb and ashy legs.

Beautiful pictures rarebreedeggs and Josh!

The roosters look so similar in the three breeds. From the front view the only difference you can see is the white ear lobes with the penes.

Quote:
Well if you have a black copper roo with blond hackle or sattle feather it is most likely crossed with blue or blue copper.
Blue will dilute your copper, and make what I call a dirty birchin look. even though it's not birchin,It's more of a silver blue,lemony look many confuse the color with birchin.

It's my understanding that the blue gene only effects what would be normally black on a bird. One copy of the blue gene will dilute the black to blue and 2 copies of the blue gene will dilute the blue even furthur to splash. Splash Coppers in my experience have been the only ones that show any signs of interuption of copper, the copper is not diluted but rather randomly placed throughout the body, saddles and hackles vs. the defined pattern of of black copper or blue copper. I have noticed that the color or tone of copper can be affected by the crossing of a solid blue to that of a black copper or blue copper bird.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom