Dark Egg Breeds Thread

I like the bold marans, easy to manage free ranging. I can usually walk up to one and with a little manouvering catch up a boy. One used to run over and grab my pant legs--he grew out of THAT. Friendly boys are a plus.
I agree with this, it makes it so much easier to deal with them. Our cuckoo rooster is very well behaved and my kids can pick him up if needed!

I have young kids ( 8 and 10) and their safety is FIRST. No bad roosters that they can't handle.

I have one ( NOT a marans) that gives wicked punctures, but he has taught us how to work him and avoid instigating an attack. In general though, I cut the flight feathers on one wing and put him in the run for the day with another rooster. I can't spend all day looking over my shoulder--takes up too much of my time!! LOL

I have young kids ( 8 and 10) and their safety is FIRST. No bad roosters that they can't handle.

I have one ( NOT a marans) that gives wicked punctures, but he has taught us how to work him and avoid instigating an attack. In general though, I cut the flight feathers on one wing and put him in the run for the day with another rooster. I can't spend all day looking over my shoulder--takes up too much of my time!! LOL
I hear you on this, our kids are 12, 10 and 7 and to us it's not worth them or us getting hurt to keep a bad rooster around. My oldest has gotten very good a handleing the chickens we have but the younger two are still learning. If fact our youngest son(7) is asking for the modern game bantams so he can show them for 4-H :)

THe more time my boys spend playing with the birds the better their handling skills. Usually a tentative grab nets empty hands--grab with conviction. Hold gentle yet firmly. Keep control of the bird. So much easier than manouvering a 250# ram!!!! My oldest thought he could push the ram in a new direction!! I laughed, saying even I couldn't do THAT! A for effort to stand up to the ram though! ( My son just moved to the side to get out of the way. )

Friendly as in come over to visit and be petted? No.

Willing to be held for a few minutes without struggling, yes.

My buff orpingtons are my friendly girls; my BO roosters stay clear of me and tend to not like being held. THey put up a fuss, settle for a few minutes, then start fussing and struggling again.

My marans girls and boys act like a confident royal. Walk by me like I'm not there. My marans, and I have 4 free ranging roosters, are territorial with other roosters having the confidence to stand up to some roosters. ANd I am free to pick up hens without fear of attack from the rooster. I like their temperaments. THe ones I have anyway.

I have one that would run up to me and pull my pant leg and look up at me. Naughy little teenager. He quit the nonsense after a month. Comical because he didn't hurt, just surprizing. THen he gave the most innocent look. He is a lovely 10 month old now.

Perhaps someone else has had a different experience. I have 8 roosters and like their temperaments.

Last edited:

My first Marans eggs! These were taken with a flash. I've got black copper, black, blue copper, and splash copper Marans, just starting to lay at about 20weeks. Still hoping they darken up a bit.

Yeager, my splash copper roo

Jack, my black copper roo

And Pat, my blue cuckoo...........uh, pull.....cock........I'm not sure! It's big like the roos, but doesn't crow or mount the girls. Will have to separate sometime to see if any eggs appear.

My first Marans eggs! These were taken with a flash. I've got black copper, black, blue copper, and splash copper Marans, just starting to lay at about 20weeks. Still hoping they darken up a bit.

And Pat, my blue cuckoo...........uh, pull.....cock........I'm not sure! It's big like the roos, but doesn't crow or mount the girls. Will have to separate sometime to see if any eggs appear.

Nice pics!!!

Congrats on the beauteous eggs!! Did you save them?

ANd regarding Pat--I have anumber of cuckoos and I still question a couple of them -- a clue can be the males redden up way, way, way before the girls. Some roosters develop late though.Nice shape on Pat.

Thank you Arielle and Braclin. Keep your fingers crossed that my eggs darken up, and that Pat either crows or lays an egg!

Back
Top Bottom