Dark egg hybrids

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Nov 14, 2009.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Does anyone here have hybrids of Marans, Welsummers, Barnevelders and/or Penedesencas?

I was curious if their offspring would still lay dark eggs, and if there is any noticeable hybrid vigor.

I was thinking a Welsummer over my cuckoo Marans should give me sex linked "chocolate eggers." I know the dark egg color is partly a function of a slow moving egg, so maybe extra vigor isn't really a good thing in the egg department...

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    No clue. Subscribing to this topic because...inquiring minds want to know. [​IMG]

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:ha ha. thanks!

I know these breeds are all still worth good money on their own but SOMEONE has to have crossed them.... If I had roos, I'm sure I would!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm putting my GC Marans roo over my Black Sex link that lays a dark egg. I'm hoping for a dark egg laying machine.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:That would be really cool so far out of the dark egg laying breeds I have owned Marans in Black and blue Copper and cuckoo and also wellsummers. My Whitmore farm wellsummers have layed darker and much more often then any marans I have ever owned I am extremly impressed and I have never seen Wellsummers with such great egg color except from Will Marrow! Good Luck finding crosses I probably would if I had a dark egger rooster but I don't

Henry

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here are my two GC Maran's... .kissing... [​IMG]

She lays a HUGE dark egg. I love the size but I only get about 3 a week.

[​IMG]

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    That is the only problem I have with the marans breed they seem to have a very low lay rate my Wellsummers gave me an egg a day at peak of lay when they were young pullets I lost most of that flock to foxes while I was away but now I have two wellie hens again and can't wait to see what they do when they start laying again.

Henry

8. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I've got a couple pullets that are supposed to be a cross between BC marans and a BO - can't wait to see what color their eggs are!

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I heard of ppl crossing Wellies and marans for a bird that isn't as broody.... and is a good egg layer. I have some penes that are young...I thought I would try that as a cross for more production and see what happens. I am not as fond of the gold in Wellies but a Barnevelder cross might be fun.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have eggs in the incubator that are Cuckoo Maran/Procuction Red crosses. I have been very disappointed in the laying rate of my Cuckoo Maran hens.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by