Dark egg hybrids

BeardedLadyFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Cobleskill NY
Does anyone here have hybrids of Marans, Welsummers, Barnevelders and/or Penedesencas?

I was curious if their offspring would still lay dark eggs, and if there is any noticeable hybrid vigor.

I was thinking a Welsummer over my cuckoo Marans should give me sex linked "chocolate eggers." I know the dark egg color is partly a function of a slow moving egg, so maybe extra vigor isn't really a good thing in the egg department...

No clue. Subscribing to this topic because...inquiring minds want to know.
smile.png

Quote:
ha ha. thanks!

I know these breeds are all still worth good money on their own but SOMEONE has to have crossed them.... If I had roos, I'm sure I would!

I'm putting my GC Marans roo over my Black Sex link that lays a dark egg. I'm hoping for a dark egg laying machine.

Quote:
That would be really cool so far out of the dark egg laying breeds I have owned Marans in Black and blue Copper and cuckoo and also wellsummers. My Whitmore farm wellsummers have layed darker and much more often then any marans I have ever owned I am extremly impressed and I have never seen Wellsummers with such great egg color except from Will Marrow! Good Luck finding crosses I probably would if I had a dark egger rooster but I don't

Henry

Here are my two GC Maran's... .kissing...
wink.png

She lays a HUGE dark egg. I love the size but I only get about 3 a week.

10376_dsc_0048.jpg

That is the only problem I have with the marans breed they seem to have a very low lay rate my Wellsummers gave me an egg a day at peak of lay when they were young pullets I lost most of that flock to foxes while I was away but now I have two wellie hens again and can't wait to see what they do when they start laying again.

Henry

I heard of ppl crossing Wellies and marans for a bird that isn't as broody.... and is a good egg layer. I have some penes that are young...I thought I would try that as a cross for more production and see what happens. I am not as fond of the gold in Wellies but a Barnevelder cross might be fun.

Back
Top Bottom