Dark liquidy poop

How much does he weigh?
He’s about 5 lbs but I’m going to weigh him again.I keep running into new bad symptoms with this bird and now I’m just beside myself. I was picking him up and some clear liquid came out of his mouth. I looked it up and he may have canker?if that’s so that’s not good. Article says it’s contagious too. May be the reason for his head shaking. I watched him eat and drink a little while ago because I wanted to make sure he was. My husband said he sounded almost hoarse or weak when he chirps or honks. What the heck is going on? I couldn’t have been proactive enough and things are going on a downward spiral it seems. I managed to find a vet but they couldn’t see him for a week. Anyone have any feedback for me? I apologize ahead for being annoying.

How much does he weigh?
They are a medium light brown now but still a little loose. I’m going to worm him this evening. His behavior hasn’t changed so that’s a good sign I think. He still does his little head shaking but not sure what I can do about that. I need to read over all the info you posted again about the different meds and illnesses.
Goosebaby you asked earlier about his droppings. Tonight I noticed they were liquidy and a dark brown.

He’s about 5 lbs but I’m going to weigh him again.I keep running into new bad symptoms with this bird and now I’m just beside myself. I was picking him up and some clear liquid came out of his mouth. I looked it up and he may have canker?if that’s so that’s not good. Article says it’s contagious too. May be the reason for his head shaking. I watched him eat and drink a little while ago because I wanted to make sure he was. My husband said he sounded almost hoarse or weak when he chirps or honks. What the heck is going on? I couldn’t have been proactive enough and things are going on a downward spiral it seems. I managed to find a vet but they couldn’t see him for a week. Anyone have any feedback for me? I apologize ahead for being annoying.
You’re not being annoying, you’re doing what you can by reaching out and asking questions.

First off how many weeks old is your gosling now?

Canker is treated with metronidazole (Flagyl) I haven expierienced canker myself with geese but I haven’t heard of anyone else with a goose with canker so I’m not sure if geese are susceptible to that, they could be but I’m not sure. Usually canker is something chickens, turkeys, pigeons, and similar species get.

A similar illness is Candida, which geese definitly can get, that’s treated with antifungals, typically nystatin with the help of probiotics and digestive enzymes.

Candida is sometimes easy to treat, sometimes difficult because it’s an illness that usually appears as a secondary condition to some other illness but it can appear with weak immune systems or after the use of strong broad spectrum antibiotics.

A hoarse voice could be because his voice is changing a little as he ages, or it can be caused by an upper respiratory illness or a digestive illness, “because when the guts are inflamed they can push on the bird’s lower airsacks.”

The liquid that came out of his mouth could be vomit because of an illness, mucous from a respiratory infection, or because he vomited from being picked up, which isn’t unusual, especially with goslings, and especially with goslings and geese that are big eaters.

So pretty much what I’m saying is that it could be nothing and he’s fine, or it could be symptoms of an issue.
Either way you’re doing what you can, if he’s eating still it’s a good sign, keep him warm, dry, and comfortable as much as you can.
If you can get him seen by a vet that will help to try to figure out what’s going on, it can help to document as much as you can for your vet including pictures and videos.

You’re not being annoying, you’re doing what you can by reaching out and asking questions.

First off how many weeks old is your gosling now?

Canker is treated with metronidazole (Flagyl) I haven expierienced canker myself with geese but I haven’t heard of anyone else with a goose with canker so I’m not sure if geese are susceptible to that, they could be but I’m not sure. Usually canker is something chickens, turkeys, pigeons, and similar species get.

A similar illness is Candida, which geese definitly can get, that’s treated with antifungals, typically nystatin with the help of probiotics and digestive enzymes.

Candida is sometimes easy to treat, sometimes difficult because it’s an illness that usually appears as a secondary condition to some other illness but it can appear with weak immune systems or after the use of strong broad spectrum antibiotics.

A hoarse voice could be because his voice is changing a little as he ages, or it can be caused by an upper respiratory illness or a digestive illness, “because when the guts are inflamed they can push on the bird’s lower airsacks.”

The liquid that came out of his mouth could be vomit because of an illness, mucous from a respiratory infection, or because he vomited from being picked up, which isn’t unusual, especially with goslings, and especially with goslings and geese that are big eaters.

So pretty much what I’m saying is that it could be nothing and he’s fine, or it could be symptoms of an issue.
Either way you’re doing what you can, if he’s eating still it’s a good sign, keep him warm, dry, and comfortable as much as you can.
If you can get him seen by a vet that will help to try to figure out what’s going on, it can help to document as much as you can for your vet including pictures and videos.
First of all thank you for all your support and giving a little hope. It means a lot especially when my husband is starting to think I’m nuts Lol It helps knowing that someone and others are out there trying to help. My bird is sick and I’m going to do what I can. He is about 6 weeks old. I did worry that he may have an upper respiratory illness. I’ve been wanting to give him antibiotics but with the vet issue it hasn’t happened. What would be a broad spectrum antibiotic that I could try that geese owners would use if there is one?

First of all thank you for all your support and giving a little hope. It means a lot especially when my husband is starting to think I’m nuts Lol It helps knowing that someone and others are out there trying to help. My bird is sick and I’m going to do what I can. He is about 6 weeks old. I did worry that he may have an upper respiratory illness. I’ve been wanting to give him antibiotics but with the vet issue it hasn’t happened. What would be a broad spectrum antibiotic that I could try that geese owners would use if there is one?
Amoxicillin, baytril, or SMZ TMP. Baytril will probably be most likely to treat a wide variety of problems, next best being amoxicillin.
For specific bacteria’s more specific antibiotics are needed but the vet will be able to sort out what.
If it’s a respiratory fungal issue only a vet can really treat it, but if that’s the case I’m very sorry to say but the outlook isn’t good if it’s aspergillosis. More than likely it’s probably bacterial though.

Amoxicillin, baytril, or SMZ TMP. Baytril will probably be most likely to treat a wide variety of problems, next best being amoxicillin.
For specific bacteria’s more specific antibiotics are needed but the vet will be able to sort out what.
If it’s a respiratory fungal issue only a vet can really treat it, but if that’s the case I’m very sorry to say but the outlook isn’t good if it’s aspergillosis. More than likely it’s probably bacterial though.
Ok thank you. Guess I’ll try to widen my search for a vet.

Ok thank you. Guess I’ll try to widen my search for a vet.
Avian/ exotic vets are what to look for, but if you can find a farm vet that will be your best choice, they can pretty much treat anything and they tend to be cheaper. Unfortunatly there really aren’t a lot of them left, most are retired or passed.
There’s also university veterinary labs, some take in samples fecal/swabs/blood for testing, I don’t know what state you’re in but Texas has one and my state “California” has one “UC Davis.”
The funny thing about their veterinary labs is they’re testing is typically cheaper also, the only thing is proper prep and storage through the postal system.
A lot of the vets are so expensive now is many of them don’t do in house lab work, they send it off to a third party. If you find a vet that will see your gosling but they don’t do their own lab work you might ask them to use whichever university veterinary labratory is closest to try to cut costs.

Also ahead of time ask for prices with everything, I’ve had the misfortune of encountering some fairly bad veterinarians the last few years and they have no issues taking advantage of pet parents because they know they are vulnerable when they bring a sick pet in. Don’t let them play games with prices, demand the cost of everything up front.

Avian/ exotic vets are what to look for, but if you can find a farm vet that will be your best choice, they can pretty much treat anything and they tend to be cheaper. Unfortunatly there really aren’t a lot of them left, most are retired or passed.
There’s also university veterinary labs, some take in samples fecal/swabs/blood for testing, I don’t know what state you’re in but Texas has one and my state “California” has one “UC Davis.”
The funny thing about their veterinary labs is they’re testing is typically cheaper also, the only thing is proper prep and storage through the postal system.
A lot of the vets are so expensive now is many of them don’t do in house lab work, they send it off to a third party. If you find a vet that will see your gosling but they don’t do their own lab work you might ask them to use whichever university veterinary labratory is closest to try to cut costs.

Also ahead of time ask for prices with everything, I’ve had the misfortune of encountering some fairly bad veterinarians the last few years and they have no issues taking advantage of pet parents because they know they are vulnerable when they bring a sick pet in. Don’t let them play games with prices, demand the cost of everything up front.
Ok thank you for all of that information. I am in central Texas about 50 miles west of Houston and the avian and exotic animal vets are who I have been calling. There really is no one for some odd reason and I’ve been searching for over 100 mile radius. There was that one I had mentioned but the visit cost up front was way too much. I’m not sure why. Even with everything I have been doing for the babies I’m in such a bad spot now because I think both of my goslings are sick now and really don’t know how(I think it’s respiratory-I’m praying I’m wrong) when I’m constantly checking on everything and try to keep them as sanitary as possible. One problem I am struggling with is keeping them dry. I put fresh shavings in their trough every day. The information you suggested are good ones and will try to see if any of that is possible. You say farm vet-you mean like livestock/equine vet? That is what my regular vet is and I even asked if they could try because no avian vet was available but they are always busy so I guess they couldn’t or weren’t interested.

Back
Top Bottom