Dark membrane under pip

BelmontFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2020
We have an Ayam egg pipped and the membrane is getting dark. We put a small swipe of coconut oil on it and raised the humidity. The chick is chirping. Should we do anything else or wait and see?

IMG_20200403_091810.jpg

Did your babe hatch out play? Sometimes if the humidity is right, but it seems dried out, I’ll put a little dab of moisture on the membrane. I swore I wouldn’t help this time, but... 🤷‍♀️

Did your babe hatch out play? Sometimes if the humidity is right, but it seems dried out, I’ll put a little dab of moisture on the membrane. I swore I wouldn’t help this time, but... 🤷‍♀️
With assistance it did hatch out. It was weak and we were told by an old egg hatcher in our area to give warm milk to help it get strength. We did that and it seems to be doing okay. It's pretty wobbly when it walks, but that may be normal. We had to assist with a silkie just now. It seems to be doing good. Our incubator isn't giving proper readings on humidity as everyone's membranes are getting dry and tough. We're trying to get it up though 😕

Sometimes putting a wet sponge in will help with the humidity as well. I’m glad you’ve got a couple out. Any more left to go?
Yes...several more. We are waiting on 18 more Ayams, 4-5 Silkies (lost one since last posting 😔), and 14 Easter Eggers. Out of all those, only one has pipped. I don't think our overall hatch rate is going to be great 😔

Were they due today?

I’m hatching as well, due tomorrow, but ten out so far. I lost one after it had completely zipped and I’m not sure why. Just died before it made it out. I’ve candled a bit ago and several have internally pipped so here’s hoping for great hatches for both of us! 🤞 Hope more of your babies come out to say hello!

Were they due today?

I’m hatching as well, due tomorrow, but ten out so far. I lost one after it had completely zipped and I’m not sure why. Just died before it made it out. I’ve candled a bit ago and several have internally pipped so here’s hoping for great hatches for both of us! 🤞 Hope more of your babies come out to say hello!
I have 2 Silkies now, 1 Easter Egger, and the 3 Ayams. We're getting there slowly 😊. Best wishes on your hatching!

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_104854.jpg
    IMG_20200404_104854.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 3
Thank you! We only had 12 hatch out of 26. My biggest disappointment is that I went to bed with six pipped and by morning, 4 of those just died in their shells. 😭

I hope your hatch finishes off spectacularly! Here are ten of my 12 goobers.

Attachments

• FEF01F54-D529-4A50-9E2E-3858E5130B93.jpeg
    FEF01F54-D529-4A50-9E2E-3858E5130B93.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 3
Thank you! We only had 12 hatch out of 26. My biggest disappointment is that I went to bed with six pipped and by morning, 4 of those just died in their shells. 😭

I hope your hatch finishes off spectacularly! Here are ten of my 12 goobers.
They are adorable! Sorry your hatch rate wasn't as good as you hoped...neither is ours 😔. We started out with 76 eggs and only have 6 babies so far. We had 21 Ayams and only 3 hatched. We candled them and don't see any movement. We don't know what happened. They seemed to die around day 16/17 my husband guesses. Totally disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom