Dark patches in egg? Help!

Bzrzad3

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2017
New Zealand
Hey everyone! The only reason I made this account is soley for this issue. I'm not sure if it's an issue, a normal thing, or is abnormal. Sadly I couldn't take photos but I can give a good description of what happened.

We're on day 12, and the silkie chicks in the incubator are seeming to do fine days before. But we candled 3 of them and they seemed... odd. A giant black patch was smooshed against the egg. When we turned to the other side, there was no sign of it. On another egg the veins were wrapped partly around the egg with the same dark patch only on one side. Is this simply the embryo moving to one side from the slow automatic turning?

I am also incubating silkie eggs and mine are about 12 days old. I am fairly sure that the dark patches are normal and just show embryo development. Pictures would be good if you can upload them. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good luck on your hatching journey! :wee

:welcome!

A picture would really be best if there is any way you can get one.

Do the eggs in question all still have visible veining? Or just the one?

Sorry! The only torch we have we candle with is also on the phone. Not sure I'd even at best get a fuzzy photo. :( They have quite visible veins and bodies, I'm just not sure how they're so close to one side.

When you say you tested it .Are you checking the turner every hour to make sure the eggs are angled the other way ?Also can you see the embryo moving around in the egg? Is the embryo separate from the dark mass ?
Yes, it seemed to move. I'm not sure if the dark mass is in fact the embryo, but it's day 15 now and we have discarded the eggs that haven't simply made it (dead, underdeveloped). I'm sure by now the dark masses are actually the embryos /phew/

about 15 days sorry after the format change I can't find any old pictures that were saved on BYC. A Marans egg under a very bright light .
Image11192016234710 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom