Dark spots in egg during candling?

diamondsilkies

Songster
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Arizona
I have 11 serama eggs set in my incubator for some customers. Today is day 20, I went into lockdown on day 17. However, during the final candle, I noticed some dark spots in the egg that didn't look like they were part of the chicks, just sort of floating around. I wish I had gotten a picture, but unfortunately I didn't think to do so at the time. Almost all the eggs had them, some smaller, some bigger.

In the past, I've almost always had seramas hatch on day 19 and 20, but I only have three pips right now, and lots of chirping from one egg. Some of the other eggs have been rocking a little bit, so I definitely know that they're alive, and despite the later hatching, I'm not worried since it's only day 20. I didn't do anything different this hatch, but I was thinking back to the candling and remembered the spots.

Just out of curiosity, what could those have been? It crossed my mind that maybe they could have been clots in the veins, since they were near the veins, but I don't know what could have caused that, or if that even happens? I've done this too many times to count but don't remember ever having spots like that. (Again, not worried or urgent, just curious) Any ideas?

Thank you. 7 chicks have hatched, one on day 20, five on day 21, and one today (day 22). Unfortunately, I think the humidity dropped, as I have had to assist two chicks due to very dry membrane. 4 eggs have yet to hatch, none have pips or anything. Two have been rocking, so I know they are alive. :fl

Did you have any temp or humidity spikes during incubation? The dark spots may be from the far end of the blood vessel. Once they are that far along, they have already absorbed some of the blood, leaving some vessels basically inactive. I *think* that may be what you saw.

Post some chick pics when you get a chance! Congrats on the hatch!! :clap

Back
Top Bottom