Dark Stool concern?

Woodsman Rick

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
We just moved our 7 week old chicks outdoors into a covered run with small coop.

Everything was fine indoors in the brooder in the cottage. Healthy and happy chicks with normal earthy looking stools.

Now that they are outside we have dark almost black stools.
Im wondering if the soil could be a cause. When I work the soil doing tilling, fence posts, ditch digging, etc. blowing my nose in the evening produces a black outcome.

The chicks are all eating and drinking well and have good energy. No outward signs of concerns other than stool color. Not sure how many of the three chicks are producing the dark matter.

I have a call into the vet to see about testing a stool sample for coccidiosis.

What are your thoughts. Could it be the new soil they are scratching and pecking in? Any similar experiences?

Thank you!

It may be perfectly normal from eating grass and being exposed to soil. If they have never been exposed to soil before, watch for any signs of possible coccidiosis. That can include runny poops with lethargy, not eating, or standing puffed up/hunched. Corid liquid or powder in water is the most common treatment. Make sure they have access to a little chick grit to help digest grass and bugs, or food other than chick crumbles.

If you suspect coccidiosis, you can treat it without a vets approval, it will save essential time.
It's likely just dirt.
Not so sure what I suspect. Otherwise healthy chicks and some dark stools. Just don't want to miss something dangerous and do nothing...

Short of a test for coccidiosis How would we really know? Also, is it safe to treat 7 week chicks with Corid or whatever suggested treatment not knowing if coccidiosis is the issue? Does the treatment itself introduce any potential concerns?

Not so sure what I suspect. Otherwise healthy chicks and some dark stools. Just don't want to miss something dangerous and do nothing...

Short of a test for coccidiosis How would we really know? Also, is it safe to treat 7 week chicks with Corid or whatever suggested treatment not knowing if coccidiosis is the issue? Does the treatment itself introduce any potential concerns?
Corrid is safe for older birds, it doesn't hurt to treat a bird that doesn't have coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom