Darkness around air sac - duck eggs day 28

Okay, I just expanded the hole. Before I did that, I thought I saw the silhouette of the beak inside the air sac again, but I didn’t see any movement. I expanded the safety hole enough to see in, and the duckling had its beak in the air sac. I watched and did not see any movement. I noticed quite a bit of brownish yellow fluid inside of the egg. I tried to get some out, applied coconut oil to the membrane, and placed the egg back into the incubator. Although I didn’t see any movement, I could’ve sworn I felt it a few times when I was holding the egg, although I didn’t see it.

The duckling is still absorbing then, and it should be left alone for now, until the veins recedes. Continue to moisten membrane to keep moist, and ensure the duckling is getting air.

Okay, thank you.
How often should I moisten the membrane?
Could it still be alive even though it hasn’t moved at all?

Yes there are small red ones
So 2 possibilities here.
1. it’s finishing absorbing and should hopefully be good to go once it’s done. Or,
2. It’s died and the veins are receding from lack of circulation.

I’ve had both. Not much to do at this point than wait and keep the membrane moist and not fuss too much, since you’ve given it plenty of space to breathe. :)

So 2 possibilities here.
1. it’s finishing absorbing and should hopefully be good to go once it’s done. Or,
2. It’s died and the veins are receding from lack of circulation.

I’ve had both. Not much to do at this point than wait and keep the membrane moist and not fuss too much, since you’ve given it plenty of space to breathe. :)

If it has died, will it contaminate the other eggs?
How long should I give it in the incubator before removing it, if I don’t see any further signs of life?

Okay, thank you.
How often should I moisten the membrane?
Could it still be alive even though it hasn’t moved at all?

If you keep the humidity high enough, you shouldn't need to do it until morning. If you saw absolutely no movement, it's likely the duckling passed, but waiting for tommorow before doing anything dramatic may be best.

If it's not moving, or chirping, by tomorrow, I think it's safe to say it passed in which you can take it out.

Back
Top Bottom