Darn dog!!!!!!

I am so sorry that everything went wrong and you, your kids lost your birds.but you are lucky having a nice neighbor, that is trying to work out the damage.
My neighbor five years of telling her to keep her roaming dogs in her land cost me my best friend golden retriever of 12 years, she laughs at me knowing her dog killed mine. So I know this is very hard for your family, but you are so lucky to have a neighbor that is nice.
I am to a very nice person, my husband and I helped this mean person, fixing her fence and all.BUT SHE WAS TO LAZY TO SHUT HER GATE.
so sorry about your chickens.

What a horrible neighbor!!!....I guess i shouldnt take my great neighbors for granted

I am so sorry that everything went wrong and you, your kids lost your birds.but you are lucky having a nice neighbor, that is trying to work out the damage.
My neighbor five years of telling her to keep her roaming dogs in her land cost me my best friend golden retriever of 12 years, she laughs at me knowing her dog killed mine. So I know this is very hard for your family, but you are so lucky to have a neighbor that is nice.
I am to a very nice person, my husband and I helped this mean person, fixing her fence and all.BUT SHE WAS TO LAZY TO SHUT HER GATE.
so sorry about your chickens.
Sounds terrible. I am sorry you have to deal with them. That must be so tough. I am lucky they are nice. I just do not want to let it cause problems between us.

i like my next door people cause my two rooster had been crowing for a month now and they said nothing but sadly we have to kill them cause we just don't want to start any thing with them

Chicknduck,
I am sure that you and your neighbor could come up with an ideal working together.the plus side is that you and her will be closer freinds, even though your pain is in your heart at this time, and forever its going to hurt but time will fade the pain.
I know money means nothing, its not going to heal your family pain, just be blessed that you do have wonderful neighbors, am sure after what happened, they are going double check each other on where their dogs are at.
At the mean time, both of you could come up with ideals to keep your chickens safe and their dogs safe and have a wonderfully freindship.
I hope beaker comes back!!!!
I had a cockateils years ago named beaker he was an awesome bird.
Take care
sherry

Chicknduck,
I am sure that you and your neighbor could come up with an ideal working together.the plus side is that you and her will be closer freinds, even though your pain is in your heart at this time, and forever its going to hurt but time will fade the pain.
I know money means nothing, its not going to heal your family pain, just be blessed that you do have wonderful neighbors, am sure after what happened, they are going double check each other on where their dogs are at.
At the mean time, both of you could come up with ideals to keep your chickens safe and their dogs safe and have a wonderfully freindship.
I hope beaker comes back!!!!
I had a cockateils years ago named beaker he was an awesome bird.
Take care
sherry
Thank you, such kind words
smile.png

I will not accept money. That wont help me and I refuse to let someone write a check to make them selves feel beter. I mean that in a sincer way not a smart butt way. I just told her all I want from her is to NEVER let it happen again. Things will happen in life to make friendships stronger. Atleast she has the respect for my kids to try and make it better. The lines of communication are open and we will all get past this.
As for a chicken update now that all has settle abit....

My poor chickens are all freaked out today Half of the ones I have left will not even come off their purches in their little shed. 7 hens dead and burried and 2 of my Roosters are missing feathers. 1 is missing half of its spur. They fought to try and save their hens but dogs are much bigger. All of the dead ones I found did have k 9 bites in them. Not even eaten just played with killed and left. So sad. The worst part is beaker my little cross beak one is gone. She was the one that would always sit on my shoulder :-( Now that the kids are at school and all is cleaned up I can be sad.

I'm very sorry that this happened. I am more sorry that the dogs have been at your property twice in 3 weeks. I understand wanting to be good neighbors but I don't think that I would be accepting of an apology no matter how heartfelt it was. We recently found 2 of our neighbor's dogs in our pasture after they killed several of our chickens. The neighbor was talked to and said that he will keep them chained.

I think that killing chickens is one thing. I do understand that dogs will be dogs at times (I do NOT think that a dog that kills anything should be able to get loose). But these dogs came and attacked your dogs. That makes them "dangerous dogs". I worked in animal shelters and vet offices for a number of years and this behavior is unacceptable. A dog that is going to roam and attack other animals outside of it's home/land may well expand it's "prey". You say that you have kids, I would be concerned that if these dogs get loose again and your kids happen to be outside or go outside if they hear fighting that they could get bit. Even the most friendly to people dogs can bite when hurt or caught up in the moment of fighting/chasing/killing etc.

If you have not, this should be reported to the local authorities. Most likely nothing will happen but at least it has been reported. I would be very worried that they will be loose again. What happens the next time they are out and won't come in and whoever is home has to be somewhere? I am not trying to make you feel worse or saying that you shouldn't try to work with neighbors but our neighbor now knows that if his dogs are here again, they will most likely not make it home. After talking with other neighbors, we found out that this same family has had several dogs that were shot by neighbors after killing/harrassing their livestock. And these dogs in particular killed some sheep in a pasture. (They are Great Pyrenees too so just because it's suppossed to protect livestock doesn't mean its safe) Some people should not own animals as they have no sense of responsibility.

I know that money will not replace your birds but sometimes that is the thing that will make people realize they need to change. Hit them in the pocket and not just replacement value. Replacement, feed costs etc.

On a side note, we did not call the sheriff when the dogs came but we did talk to a deputy when we were out the next day. Here, if we had reported it and the dogs were out again, it would be a felony. We were also told that we were within our rights to kill the dogs and our neighbor understands this.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I know that I have a different opinion than many you received but I would hate to see that it happened again.
hugs.gif

I'm very sorry that this happened. I am more sorry that the dogs have been at your property twice in 3 weeks. I understand wanting to be good neighbors but I don't think that I would be accepting of an apology no matter how heartfelt it was. We recently found 2 of our neighbor's dogs in our pasture after they killed several of our chickens. The neighbor was talked to and said that he will keep them chained.

I think that killing chickens is one thing. I do understand that dogs will be dogs at times (I do NOT think that a dog that kills anything should be able to get loose). But these dogs came and attacked your dogs. That makes them "dangerous dogs". I worked in animal shelters and vet offices for a number of years and this behavior is unacceptable. A dog that is going to roam and attack other animals outside of it's home/land may well expand it's "prey". You say that you have kids, I would be concerned that if these dogs get loose again and your kids happen to be outside or go outside if they hear fighting that they could get bit. Even the most friendly to people dogs can bite when hurt or caught up in the moment of fighting/chasing/killing etc.

If you have not, this should be reported to the local authorities. Most likely nothing will happen but at least it has been reported. I would be very worried that they will be loose again. What happens the next time they are out and won't come in and whoever is home has to be somewhere? I am not trying to make you feel worse or saying that you shouldn't try to work with neighbors but our neighbor now knows that if his dogs are here again, they will most likely not make it home. After talking with other neighbors, we found out that this same family has had several dogs that were shot by neighbors after killing/harrassing their livestock. And these dogs in particular killed some sheep in a pasture. (They are Great Pyrenees too so just because it's suppossed to protect livestock doesn't mean its safe) Some people should not own animals as they have no sense of responsibility.

I know that money will not replace your birds but sometimes that is the thing that will make people realize they need to change. Hit them in the pocket and not just replacement value. Replacement, feed costs etc.

On a side note, we did not call the sheriff when the dogs came but we did talk to a deputy when we were out the next day. Here, if we had reported it and the dogs were out again, it would be a felony. We were also told that we were within our rights to kill the dogs and our neighbor understands this.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I know that I have a different opinion than many you received but I would hate to see that it happened agai
hugs.gif
Thank you for your input. I do have every concern you mentioned and I also told her that. I did make it perfectly clear if it ever happens again I wil be the end. I will protect my kids and animal no matter what. I am just glad I can handle this situation the way I have. It is very hard to see past raw emotion. Just knowing that it happens to others and the input on the actions they have taken re assures me that I am doig the right thing. thank you for that.

I am so sorry. That is so sad. I agree with RedJungleFowl: Kill that dog if you can.

My dad has dealt with these issues before. He gives the neighbors a warning, then, the second time the dog comes around, he kills it!

Back
Top Bottom