darn pullet, gonna kill her!!!

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
not really......but she FINALLY started to lay at 8 mo, my oldest blue wheaten ameraucana, and SHE'S LAYING UNDER MY DECK!!! There is so much snow still here she goes between the steps to get under and each day I have to use a hockey stick to pull the egg out. I am afraid to block it off in fear of her going somewhere I won't find. As soon as I can get my supplies from under the snow I am getting that pen up
rant.gif
. I think it is because there are too many roos (4) for the 7 girls, someone was supposed to pick up all my extras yesterday
roll.png

I am trying to picture it but can you throw some wood blocks or something like that under there to stop her from gettting in that cozy spot? Or is it too big of an area?

Last edited:
well, it started out as 2 separate groups. I had 1 roo with my daughters 4 hens, then I let the ameraucana go out as juveniles last fall. It was 4 cockerals and 4 pullets, I placed a wheaten cockeral, but everyone was getting along. One of the cockerals assimilated into the established group and one of the pullets is in the house as she was lost for a week in the cold and has frostbitten feet. Now that it is getting warmer and they are older the roos keep trying to *dance* for the girls and the girls just run away. Out of the 4 pullets, the one in the house started to lay and this girl just started hiding 2 days ago to lay. I think I will have to do a craigslist ad and just dump most of the boys. They are costing me a fortune in feed. As far as them getting along, the roos do fine since they are free range, they all know which one is in charge (although he is going asap for attacking my kids)so it will be interesting to see the power struggle after the #1 & #2 roos are gone......I really wish I had it in me to just cull myself but I also promised the kids I wouldn't
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom