1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Darnit! 3 out of 15??? Roo Confirmation, please?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reinbeau, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Ok, I took a good look at my 'girls' again this morning and it looks like Lurky was right, I've got two, count 'em, two roos out of my three Golden Laced Wyandottes. Could someone look at these photos who knows roos and tell me? I'm pretty sure these are two different birds. They're five weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third has no red showing on her. Yet.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That first one looks like a bouncing baby boy to me.

I have a 1 week old splash orp and I swear i know that one will be a roo! Sometimes you can just tell!!

3. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I think they look rooish too.

4. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I'd guess roos, too.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Roo, MAYBE. It's still early yet. I swear I have some 8 wk old Ameracuanas I hatched out from Dipsy Doo and I am still going back and forth on those as far as gender.

Don't go culling quite yet....

6. pozarnsk

pozarnsk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    Hey if its so hard to tell the roos, how do the hatheries do it at birth??

7. FarmGirlNC

FarmGirlNC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    COmmercial hatcheris do ses chickens but not with 100% accuracy- and there they have professionals trained to do this who look at hundreds of chicks a day- most standards breed (non sex linked chicks) are vent sexed at the hatchery. I am not squeamish about much but vent sexing falls into my don't try this ay home category.

Thoe two doo look rooish but I have had females who looked rooish and males who looked hennish at that age so there is still hope.

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Thank you, FarmgirlNC, I'll cling to that, although ['m sure there's no hope for Stumpy, my Buff Orpington roo. He's definitely a dude!

9. ziggy

ziggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    CA Central Coast
    I'm a total newbie to chickens, but my Sliver Laced Wyandotte showed up with a pink comb and tiny waddles at about 3 or 3 and a half weeks.
    At 9 weeks though I am thinking pullet. Her comb and waddles have not really changed since then.

At nine weeks:
    [​IMG]

10. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Reinbeau, how do you know for sure Stumpy is a roo? I am very concerned for my six 5-week old buff orps. I ordered pullets, but they ALL look like boys to me. One of them even crows in the morning (if you want to call it a crow)...they all have large combs, I think. I don't know what I'm gonna do and I don't know how long to wait for a definite sex determination!!! If they are roos, that might be the end of my chicken days...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by