Darnit! Why oh WHY did I get Black Australorps?

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
UUUHHHhahahahaahha! The joke is on me. I only wanted a dozen hens for myself, and made up the order difference in BA's for my freezer. i figured they'd look nice and lay nice until freezer ready. I should have gotten nasty leghorns. Iam totally falling for the BA's.

There's this one chick, I have a feeling it was my packing peanut BA, which is probably a rooster since he's so much stockier and bigger than the others... Anyway, this chick has discovered that if it hops on my hand i'll let it come out of the brooder and sit on my finger, and then probably on my hand while I type at the computer. And eventually that means I need two hands so it can sit on my lap where its warm and snuggle up against me for a nap. Eventually it falls asleep and gets all floppy like chicks do, their little necks streeeeeatched out, and all foofy and relaxed. Plus theyre all headed into that arse-ugly teenage stage, which is helplessly adorable anyway.

Damnit.

I cant eat something so cute. IAM RUINED! Ruined i tell you!

I rehomed my freezer birds and kept a couple as pets... obviously. lol.

*sigh*

gig.gif
Those Aussies got YOU Good!

One of our new BAs is just like that too. What a cutie. I have the better of you though, cuz I wasn't planning to eat them anyway...they're girls. Or at least they'd better be.
smile.png

I got a mix of BAs and RIRs, and the BAs are by far the more outgoing ones. They will be 5 weeks old on Saturday....and since they came, it's always the aussies that come and investigate everything that I am doing. The RIRs are a bit more flighty yet...they calm right down, but I can tell I'm going to really like my aussies!

Angie

This is true! I bought Ba's, ee's, welsummers, cochin's... But the nicest of all of them are the ba's. Theyre always sooo interested in what iam doing, what i have to offer, or when I talk to them.

Its hilarious because when they freak out (you know how it is, one guy decides to test his wings and the others automatically assume this is a call of alarm) i have to calm them back down and they all stand super tall to listen to me whisper and shhh them.

Silly chickens.... lol. They do kinda grow on you.

I feel you. I've totally fallen for my BA rooster-that-was-supposed-to-be-a-hen. Was horrified at first. But he has that quality that we women love in our men: standoffish at first, then softness as you get to know him. He came to me as an older pullet; he had been free-roaming, not free-ranging, on this breeder's place so was pretty wild.

It's taken a long time of feeding him snacks by hand, but finally, he let me pet his chest for the first time the other day. He also does a happy dance when he sees me coming with treats that involves up/down frantic head bobbing. And, I swear, he took a silent cue from one of his broody hens the other day to hop upstairs and protect her egg when she saw me coming for it.

Wild, elusive, protective, and with a soft side. Add a leather jacket and I might have to run off with him.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom