Darth Vader is 4 mos old now

Quote:
Her earlobes look exactly like the black cockerel's did right before they started growing

If you think so.

Chris​

Quote:
Her earlobes look exactly like the black cockerel's did right before they started growing

If you think so.

Chris​

Do you have experience with any of these breeds? What do you think the pullet is if she isn't the same breed? I'm not seeing how their body types are different. She's very slender and leggy, just like he is. Here are some better pics I just went out and took. Also, I don't "think" her earlobes look like his did when they first started growing, I "know" they do. I may have even posted on here about his, b/c I had no idea that that bright turquoise would turn white, and I was very confused about having a black bird with bright turquoise earlobes!

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

Quote:

If you think so.

Chris​

Do you have experience with any of these breeds? What do you think the pullet is if she isn't the same breed? I'm not seeing how their body types are different. She's very slender and leggy, just like he is. Here are some better pics I just went out and took. Also, I don't "think" her earlobes look like his did when they first started growing, I "know" they do. I may have even posted on here about his, b/c I had no idea that that bright turquoise would turn white, and I was very confused about having a black bird with bright turquoise earlobes!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k4MA5Cvk9XU/Ti8TajnXTII/AAAAAAAAA10/kK9fliOD4oM/s800/IMG_3765.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rrFjhnZHW88/Ti8TbUnKZ0I/AAAAAAAAA14/kJTr6a-TaxU/s640/IMG_3758.JPG

It's ok, I understood what you said, and I believe you. Forums can make some communication styles sound much less friendly than others.

As far as my earlier assertion, I stand by it. A healthy breeding program for blues will incorporate splashes and blacks, as well as resulting in splashes and blacks. You cannot have a blue breeding program without them being involved, therefore they are a necessary component. Such a breeding program would be the only explanation for your two birds. Here is a good pic of a young splash Andalusian pullet:

http://aviary.stagedragon.com/bronte1a.jpg

Many feedstores work through other hatcheries, who work through other hatcheries, who suppliment their hatches through local breeders. There is very rarely a single point to point transfer of chicks from one hatchery to one store chain. It's entirely possible that your chicks were either mistaken for another breed and shipped to your store, or were taken from a local breeder to suppliment a hatchery order for bantams.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit. If you did end up with bantam Andalusians, you're soooooo lucky!!

Edited to add pic

Last edited:
Quote:

If you think so.

Chris​

Do you have experience with any of these breeds?

Yes I do have experience with Minorcas, Andalusian, and Leghorn.
What do you think the pullet is if she isn't the same breed

To be honest, I think that she is a cross and that she has Leghorn in her.

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:

If you think so.

Chris

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k4MA5Cvk9XU/Ti8TajnXTII/AAAAAAAAA10/kK9fliOD4oM/s800/IMG_3765.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rrFjhnZHW88/Ti8TbUnKZ0I/AAAAAAAAA14/kJTr6a-TaxU/s640/IMG_3758.JPG

It's ok, I understood what you said, and I believe you. Forums can make some communication styles sound much less friendly than others.

As far as my earlier assertion, I stand by it. A healthy breeding program for blues will incorporate splashes and blacks, as well as resulting in splashes and blacks. You cannot have a blue breeding program without them being involved, therefore they are a necessary component. Such a breeding program would be the only explanation for your two birds. Here is a good pic of a young splash Andalusian pullet:

Many feedstores work through other hatcheries, who work through other hatcheries, who suppliment their hatches through local breeders. There is very rarely a single point to point transfer of chicks from one hatchery to one store chain. It's entirely possible that your chicks were either mistaken for another breed and shipped to your store, or were taken from a local breeder to suppliment a hatchery order for bantams.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit. If you did end up with bantam Andalusians, you're soooooo lucky!!

Edited to add pic

Thank you! I really think I did. I have spent about 2 hours online today looking up Andalusians, and both of mine match the pics exactly! I have even found several pics of splash Andalusian pullets that look absolutely identical to mine, right down to the small comb and turquoise earlobes!
lol.png
I posted last month or maybe 2 mos ago on the Andalusian thread about my pair, and no one on there said anything other than they were beautiful Andalusians, didn't even bother to say yes or no to my question "Is that what they really are?" So I really think they are! I love their huge dark brown eyes! And their sweet personalities.
smile.png
If they continue to look like good examples of the breed as they get older, I will definitely look into breeding them myself. And if you live near enough (by your name, I suspect you are in HI, though?) I'll send you some eggs.
big_smile.png

he looks just like my reg size black blue andy the hen favors my splash blue andy in feather coloring i think she's prob a blue andy mix

Thanks for all of your help. I'm sorry to hear 2 people with experience think she's mixed.
sad.png
Maybe I'll be able to find someone else who has bantam BA's. I really like the 2 I have and wouldn't mind starting up with breeding someday. They're beautiful and have great personalities.

The pullet reminds me of a Splash OEGB. Though I know nothing about Andalusians, so could be.

Edit to add: I looked up Splash Andalusians Hens and I do have to say she does have more the tail carriage they do verses the more fanned out carriage of an OEGB.

Last edited:
I wouldnt think a hatchery would get birds from other breeders, it would cost more money, and worry about diseases.
Quote:

If you think so.

Chris

[URL]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k4MA5Cvk. 9XU/Ti8TajnXTII/AAAAAAAAA10/kK9fliOD4oM/s800/IMG_3765.JPG[/url]

Edited to add pic

Back
Top Bottom