Das Hühnerhaus

Now there's a woman that wants her coop, lol! It's really looking good Alabama Jack.

Got the shingles done. Wife did at least half of the work on these. As a note, main roof is 5/12 and porch is 3/12. Went through 11 packs of shingles. Also cut out the windows and the shed door. Having second thoughts on the cupola, as the ridge vent is done and every thing is nice and tidy. Pics from today, note the hardware cloth under the ridge vent:

We also decided to make a 4 ft high run out to the left. More chicken math going on...

Not a lot of instructions on the cobra 3 ridge vents. I think I will go back and use roofing sealant on the ends of the ridge vent.

View from inside the coop, out through the windows.

Front side, with the windows cut out.

Shed door.

Last edited:
Haven't had much time to work on it lately, but I did get a couple of hours today.

Cut out the openings for the nest box. Approximately 16"x16".

Made the first of three service doors. I plan to have half of this one be plywood and the other half hardware cloth, with a hinged plywood cover, for max ventilation in the summer.

Bought an air staple gun from Harbor Freight for installing the hardware cloth. $16, not a bad deal at all!

Slightly off topic, but I plan to build 2-3 more of these Carpenter Bee traps. The population has increased quite a bit over the last 4 years, and I don't want them destroying the coop.

Last edited:
Just got back from Disney, and had a couple of hours to get some more done. Chicks arrive in 12 days, but I should have a month after that to finish. Next up should be the nest boxes and service doors.

Framed in the floor of the coop.

View of the nest box openings and windows, opposite the service doors.

Service door openings. This is where the poop board and perches will go.

Lost most of the weekend to rain, but I had two hours this afternoon to make a brooder. Used leftover plywood and 5-6 2x4's. It measures 48"x38" and 31" high. However, the floor is on 2x4's so, the walls are 27" from a chick's perspective. I made it to be modular. 8 wood screws hold the four walls in place and it's sandwhiched over the floor. It's still sturdy though. Hopefully this will hold 10-15 chicks for four-six weeks.

I left half of the one side off for the first week, for easy access.

Last edited:
Had good weather this weekend, and the DW was kind enough to give me some free time to work on the coop. Might be ready for paint by the end of next weekend. Here are some pictures of the progress:

Got the majority of the hardware cloth done. Used 1" staples with narrow crown head (harbor freight air stapler was awesome). I'm going to go back and put some trim on the corners to dress it up, make it safer (for the kids), and to make the HW cloth a little stronger.

Started the nest / egg boxes. I was banging my head for a couple of weeks on how to do this, and I think this is about the easiest way to do it.

Made a box and put it on plywood and traced where to cut. I left a four inch overhang to join to the coop structure.

Made two of the boxes, one top and one bottom, and joined them on the ends...

Four inches onto the coop structure. Black Jack 57 will fill the gaps.

Added some 5/12 pitch boards on top to get a sloped roof. Birds mouth cuts on the end.

Next, I will make a drop down door on the front (for kids to have easy access), and a roof.

For the ends, I cut a rectangle and traced the angle and went back and cut that for the roof line.

One of the service doors on hinges (slightly ajar). You can see the plywood is bigger than the frame, for a draft free door.

Window on the run side and the pop door. Wasn't sure what size to make the pop door, so I made it 14x14". Looks a lot bigger than most I see on here. Guess I'm planning on fat chickens... :)

Open to critiques and suggestions!!!

The ladies are here! Such a neat experience having chicks. The kids are loving it, but the daughter is convinced that they are robots... Priority has definitely shifted to the coop. Some pics of the 12 (2 BO, 3 BR, 3 Aussies, 3 EEs, and one that may be an Aussie). We lost 3 in shipment and one the first night. :(

Now to get the coop done in the next 4 weeks...

First, the cool stuff. Chicks are doing great. Been feeding them a boiled egg yolk once a day since the second day. My thinking was to boost their calorie/nutrition intake to avoid anymore losses. We've had two chicks with sticky poop. Not really pasty butt, but more of a hanger. :) I soaked the poop with a warm wet paper towel and then removed. We added a play sand box last night. Can't wait to give them baby grit next week (label says two weeks old).

Got some work done on the coop and hope to get a lot more done this weekend:

Got the bottom of the coop lined with Black Jack 57. Used a throw-away plastic putty knife to apply, which worked great. The consistency is really close to drywall mud. Had to stir for 20 minutes or so to get it mixed. Should have had Lowes mix it for me.

Went up the walls one blade width. It really filled in the cracks nicely. Less places for critters to hide.

Looking across the coop, out the nest boxes. BJ57 is 15 minutes old. Laid about 1/8" - 1/4" thick. (closer to 1/8")

Service door entry on the back side of the coop, looking towards the nest boxes. This is where the perches and poop board will go. Painting it this weekend (not the floor, but the walls for sure). Does BJ 57 paint over well??

Pen side, with a service door and the Pop Door hole.

Looking towards the service doors on the back side. I will put up 1x4's as retainers in front of the doors, with BJ on them.

Back service doors and an open space up top. It will be open in summer and closed in winter (with HW cloth).

How she looks today.

Our color scheme is planned to be sage green as a base color and white trim. Objections need to come soon, as we're painting this weekend!!

Last edited:
Added a perch and a 2x6 under the feeder. Please feel free to add anat-a-boy as I could use the encouragement.

How she looks today.

Our color scheme is planned to be sage green as a base color and white trim. Objections need to come soon, as we're painting this weekend!!
Gorgeous structure......no matter what color you paint it!!

Tho wondering how will you paint where the mesh is up?

Back
Top Bottom