Das Hühnerhaus

Thanks Folly!

Construction really slowed this weekend as we're having so much fun with the chicks.

Brooder with cover:

My buddy BR:

Thanks Folly!

Construction really slowed this weekend as we're having so much fun with the chicks.
This is a common problem - befalls many who get the chicks thinking they can "just finish the coop/run while the little buggars are in the brooder".....and before you know it they are ready to move outside, but there is nowhere to move them to....and that last photo is all you have to see to understand why.

Last edited:
Got quite a bit done today, and almost finished with the HW cloth (I've been dreading this part). It actually wasn't too bad. Measuring, cutting and bending on the ground definitely helped.

Here's how I pre-bent the HW cloth:

HW cloth here, there, everywhere!

Lined the inside of the coop to deal with protruding roofing nails and for double protection.

This is the pre-bent piece from above. Mounted, then cut along the rafters. Used 1" staples with the air stapler. Planning to go back and use 1/2" staples where it touches the roof plywood. I couldn't figure out another way to do the eaves, also why I HW clothed the interior.

Both ends are open and HW clothed.

And between the shed and coop and pen and coop.

Pen side window and pop door partially done. The window has plexiglass in it for the picture.

Inside pic of the partially finished pop door.

How she looked this afternoon. DW got one coat of paint on the porch uprights.

Tomorrow, I will make the pen door.

We also decided to make an extended run to the left. Total sq feet will be right at 200. Going to make a chunnel to go to it. Can't remember who's coop had this, but I got the idea from someones coop page.

It looks great...very good job...nice and clean.

They'll be little things you wish you'd done differently and modify here and there, but it looks great.

Looks good!

Pre cutting and bending the HC is the only way to go.....my concrete garage floor made it even easier.

Got a little more done today while the DW took the two kids to a birthday party and sports.

Made the people door from 2x6's. I couldn't find any straight 2x4's at home depot, so I went big. It's stout, but I really like it.

Used a kreg jig for putting 3" screws in, then added corner braces with screws.

HW cloth and plywood trim.

Up on gate hinges and a latch. I may add another latch up high, where the kids won't open it.

Added hasps to the nest box. I would have mounted the opposite way (hasp folding down), but they didn't fit that way. I may put a little magnet above each one on the roofing plywood, to keep them up for when it's time to close.

Trimmed out the convertible door inside the pen.

I'll have to go back and pull all the hardware off to paint the trim white.

I'll put a hook on the wall to hold the upper one all the way open.

Ladies are getting big. Contemplating an expansion to the brooder... or moving them out early...

Looking good!! You do nice work.

They get big fast don't they?

Those door latches make me nervous, easy to get locked in. I'd recommend using something else.
Will you put a spring closure on the door, they're nice to have.
Up on gate hinges and a latch. I may add another latch up high, where the kids won't open it.

Thanks aart! I was thinking about that as I was installing the latch. I was thinking about putting a small rope on the latch that feeds inside. I may use wire with a metal ring instead. I picked some up for the pop door, and like the clean look of it.

I was actually looking at the screen door springs yesterday at home depot. I was looking at the cylinder versions to see how they install. But, the door is very heavy on the hinges (I think there is a tiny bit of bind on the hinges), so it doesn't swing, once moved (but not hard to open). I'm torn on whether to use a spring or not. We shouldn't be using the door that often, depending on how often we need to clean the sand in the pen. Hopefully once we have the extended run and chunnel in place, they will be spending most of their time (pooping) there. However, I really have no idea how often we're going to have to go in there to clean. If it's more than once a week, I will probably go with the spring.

I have to wait a couple of months to paint the pressure treated wood people door, so I have time to decide.

I installed the same kind of latch on my latest pen, I put a carabineer in the hole to keep it open while I am inside. Still scares me!

I like your door.

Back
Top Bottom