Das Hühnerhaus

I have one of those latches a gate out back, love the clever mechanism but had nothing but trouble with the string and/or wire...gave up on that.
I do like the automatic latching so dogs don't get out.....Luckily I can reach around gate to unlatch from other side.

Just used a simple tension spring made for screen doors on all my coop and run doors, nice to be able to go thru door with things in hands and have it automatically close behind me without dinking around....no wandering chickens getting out or too curious dogs getting in.

Made this using Rich's horizontal nipples. Chicks are already using it, but I left the other waterer in there as well.

5/16" drill bit. I tried with a square drinking water (2 liter) container and the plastic was too soft for my drill bit, and it caused jagged edges. The final winning candidate was the orange juice bottle, with a fast drill, but little pressure. I also only twisted the nipples (kinky...) just slightly finger tight.

5/16" drill bit. I tried with a square drinking water (2 liter) container and the plastic was too soft for my drill bit, and it caused jagged edges. The final winning candidate was the orange juice bottle, with a fast drill, but little pressure. I also only twisted the nipples (kinky...) just slightly finger tight.
thumbsup.gif
Yep! Doesn't need to be threaded in all the way, just until tight. I love the HN's, have put them in many different containers....some work better than other, drilling a clean hole is they key.

Your coop is coming along beautifully! And loved the photos of the little chicks, that close-up was so cute.

Got a lot of little things done this weekend. Put blockers/keepers on the bottom of all the coop openings to keep the sand in. Also added 1x6 decking around the outside of the pen. I want to have the sand at around 4-5" in the pen/run, so I needed more height on the bottom perimeter. We also made the ramp, mounted with hinges (stole this idea from someone elses build thread).

Coop pop door opener. Used wire rope and a pulley.

Pop door opening and painted "convertible" door.

Now, we just need to add sand.

Sand is scheduled for next Friday. There are two options; river sand ($40/ton) or crushed limestone sand ($20/ton). Leaning towards the river sand, but would love to hear opinions.

Cheers,
Jack

Jack, your coop is great! Love the color and all the attention to detail. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom